Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Booster seats on airplanes?

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:20 PM
  • 7 Replies

Meaning a backless booster. I have looked into it a little and found that the booster cannot be used ON the plane..but will I need to pay to lug it around with me as if it were another piece of luggage?

We have not flown before and I have no idea what I am doing haha.

I considered purchasing a cheap one upon arrival but then I still need to bring it back home, I guess..

Thoughts from anyone who has dealt with this before?

I will also gladly take any other travel/plane related tips you may have.

Thanks.

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:22 PM
Never used car seats or boosters for my girls on planes.
kam013
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:24 PM
I know when we traveled with my GS, they allowed us to check a stroller and carseat and DID NOT count it as "checked" luggage. I would think a booster would be similar to a car seat. Call a travel agent or an airline directly if you are still concerned. Different airlines have different rules.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
disgustipated
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:12 PM

I guess I might have to call. Thanks.

Quoting kam013:

I know when we traveled with my GS, they allowed us to check a stroller and carseat and DID NOT count it as "checked" luggage. I would think a booster would be similar to a car seat. Call a travel agent or an airline directly if you are still concerned. Different airlines have different rules.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:35 PM
I've flown 3x with a booster, and have never been charged to check it. It might depend in the airline, so if call to double check.
disgustipated
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Thank you.

Quoting Anonymous:

I've flown 3x with a booster, and have never been charged to check it. It might depend in the airline, so if call to double check.

Marimaru
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Most airlines don't charge for checking carseats and strollers.  

sallymoon
by Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 1:26 AM

I would not recommend checking a booster or any car seat.  They get thrown around by baggage handlers and during flight, so a strong possibility of damage.  A backless booster might be small enough to count as a personal item or carry on.  There is also an inflatable backless booster called the BubbleBum which is great for travel and will fit inside your carry on or purse.

Child Passenger Safety Technician

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)