Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Man Fined for Laughing Too Loud in His Own Home - Have you ever complained about a noisy neighbor?

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:37 AM
  • 8 Replies

Man Fined for Laughing Too Loud in His Own Home Isn't Laughing Now

by Kiri Blakeley

To get thrown in jail because you laughed too loud in your own home sounds, well, laughable. But that's reportedly what happened to Robert Schiavelli, who was issued two tickets for laughing too loud out his window and disturbing his neighbor. Cops responded to the scene and determined that, indeed, Robert's chortling was disturbing -- hence the summons, which could get him a $500 fine and up to 30 days in jail. Robert doesn't think it's a laughing matter. But when you hear the details -- it's not so funny.

Robert and his neighbor, Daniel O'Hanian, have apparently had a long-standing feud, which Robert claims stems from his neighbor doing some unneighborly-like things, such as calling Robert, who suffers from seizures and neurological impairments, a "retard" and making fun of him.

So according to Robert, his defense is to laugh off his neighbor's taunts. And apparently he does this so loudly that his neighbor complained.

Police gave out tickets for "disturbing the peace" on two occasions because Robert's guffawing could be heard across the driveway and in his neighbor's home. When asked about the complaint, O'Hanian's wife says, "The police investigated and found there was cause. I think the police can answer all your questions. I think the police did what they thought was best."

I tend to agree with the neighbor. I don't know what the source of their feud is, and if O'Hanian, who wouldn't respond, really is being a terrible neighbor and making fun of Robert, but I do know cops don't normally issue a noise summons -- let alone two of them -- without hearing a lot of noise. There's "laughing off your neighbor" and then there's "laughing to annoy your neighbor," and I suspect that's what Robert was doing.

Just because you are in your own home doesn't mean you can do whatever you want and disturb the peace in whatever way you want. We all have to live on the same planet, you know.

I'd also suggest these guys have a good laugh together and settle their differences -- I've read about too many neighborly arguments that end up in tragedy, not comedy.

Have you ever complained about a noisy neighbor?

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
LuckyMom822
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:46 AM

No. I treat others the way I expect to be treated. With kindness and understanding. 

powow65
by New Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Were you watching the "today show"?!
They were just talking about this!
IMO, the police shouldn't try to put a man in jail for laughter.
Smfh. Just ugh.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Marimaru
by Sarah Joy on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:34 PM

I called the cops on a neighbor for noise.  I had banged on her door for 5 minutes and she couldn't hear me over her insanely loud music.  

If someone was doing something just for the sake of being annoying, I'd probably eventually call the cops if they just refused to stop... but then again, I wouldn't treat someone in a way that would have them that determined to annoy the hell out of me...

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:38 PM

A long time ago in an apartment the neighbor and his girlfriend were either fighting and yelling and thowing things, or having super loud sex.  I never called.  One night there were in a fight and I had fallen asleep on the couch and heard them arguing.  She left and I heard her crying down the stairs.  Then I heard her come back and ring and ring and ring the doorbell over and over for minutes and minutes.  She finally left.  Wonder if she was drunk??

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:40 PM

I can't imagine in a home across the driveway someone could hear laughing?  Shut your windows, geez. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:48 PM
I've complained on loud parties and for people leaving their animals loose. I once had a cow wander into my yard, lol. My complaints are not angry, and it's not to offend the neighbors. Just necessary at times.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I have only called the police on neighbors when I have heard fighting between people and then for music up too l loud after midnight. After 30 minutes of it I called the cops since the laws for the county are no loud music after 11:00PM and I was tired of hearing the bass music vibrate the windows from way across the way where they were! 

Laughing too loud in ones home in a seperate home? How can they hear unless windows open or garage doors open? How sad he got the ticket but with a disability maybe he cannot help that but if he understands then he should know to tone it down from the respect of others.  

gr8d8n3mom
by Gr8d8n3mom on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Our neighbors aren't close to our home, but my daughter teases me all the time about them hearing me while I watch baseball or football! LOL

(I did mention that to my neighbor and she laughted, and said, nah, we can't hear anything from your house! LOL) Which is good cause we have 3 dogs, and if the Fed ex guy or ups guy comes. JEEZE  the barking!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)