Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Can companies shut down &not tell employees?

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 9:33 PM
  • 43 Replies
Hello everyone. First post here in a long long awhile and It sucks its gotta be about this. Can a company close down for good and not tell its 300+ employees until its their last day? I deliver newspapers for News Herald in Ohio and they've filed bankruptcy already a few months ago and it was all over the news and that's how we all heard it, not by the upper management telling us. I asked insider people and they assured us they found a "mother company" to lease them out and they went to court and its all hunky dory. So I didn't worry. Then yesterday my mom tells me my aunt tells HER that she heard for SURE News Herald is done for good on April 17. Didnt say where how or who she hear from, which I would've liked to know.

So I ask around other carriers this AM and only two others have heard this and they didnt see the least bit surprised or mad that they'd shut down without any heads up. Then my dad tells me today companies do it often, they don't have to tell us because if they did then we'd all quit before they closed. Grrrrr! I called the office lady and she says "we haven't heard anything down here and they just bought brand new computer systems and are taking a three day training course to learn how to work them so I doubt they'd do that if they're permanently closing, but well let you know." I say I hope you wouldn't leave us hangin cuz I have a baby and need this income or at least time to find another job. She says "I hope they wouldn't do that to everyone too. !!!?!?!

Sooo she could be lying and KNOW they're probably closing and can't/won't tell me. Or she's honest and my aunts facts are wrong, which is doubtful cuz she works for human resources and usually knows the 411 on local business/employment. Oh AND I'm considered self contracted, not "employed" by them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 9:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LuckyMom822
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Yes they can shut down and not tell you. I had one that shut own AND owed me pay for three weeks of work. I will never see that money. If they are bankrupt then they are probably being forced to close. No one at corporate is going to tell you because they themselves probably don't even know. And the execs won't tell you because they will not have any employees left to finish the work that they must finish. I suggest you hope for the best but look for work regardless.

raegansmom
by Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Yes & I didn't know the news herald was going out of business. I live in NE Ohio too!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Christine0813
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 10:16 PM

I'm not sure. I think that would be fked up since they have employees to pay.

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 11, 2013 at 10:28 PM
Golden Gurnesey did it where we live. It may get bought out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xxshelbyxxx
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 6:06 AM
You do!? Omg I'm so excited lol I've never met anyone on here who actually lives close to me! Yay! Maybe we should do a friend request ? :)

Quoting raegansmom:

Yes & I didn't know the news herald was going out of business. I live in NE Ohio too!

xxshelbyxxx
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 6:07 AM
Yeah I didn't even think about that factor! That if they wait til the very last day to tell us, they can let us all go and we won't see a dime of that last couple weeks pay cuz they'll be gone ! Oh no! .. Wtf do I even do in this situation!?

Quoting Christine0813:

I'm not sure. I think that would be fked up since they have employees to pay.

xxshelbyxxx
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 6:10 AM
Dammit! What bastards! I hate how this crap works! How unfair is that to the hundreds of people losing their jobs that won't have a heads up to look for a new one? :( there's alot of older people who've been doing this for years because they can't work regular jobs either cuz of physical issues or just being a SAHM like me... Wtf are THEY gonna do? Least I'm young and can find SOMEthing if I have to. Just not sure what.

I'm sorry that happened to you! I imagine you were pretty pissed .. Did everything turn out ok or did it take you awhile to find work and get stable again?

Quoting LuckyMom822:

Yes they can shut down and not tell you. I had one that shut own AND owed me pay for three weeks of work. I will never see that money. If they are bankrupt then they are probably being forced to close. No one at corporate is going to tell you because they themselves probably don't even know. And the execs won't tell you because they will not have any employees left to finish the work that they must finish. I suggest you hope for the best but look for work regardless.

mmeredith
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 6:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I deliver papers too!! It's a love/hate relationship I have with it. I'm sure they could do but I hope they don't. Good luck!

leighp1
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 6:25 AM

Unfortunately, yes they can.  It has been done a few times here in the panhandle of Florida.  Smokey Bones opened and probably two months later there was a sherriff at the door letting the employees know it was closed.  CompUSA did the same thing.  They won't tell you because you will go find another job and they need you until the end.  Your best bet it to at least put some feelers out there for a new job.  You never know, it could be a good thing and you find a better job.  I hate that anyone has to go through this.  Good luck

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 6:56 AM
1 mom liked this
They don't have to tell you. My dad worked for beyer farms up until just recently when they closed their doors without warning. Sorry, but you should take he time now to look for a new job. Just in case.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)