Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Child Support / Eppicard

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:02 PM
  • 9 Replies

Ok, I know I am going to get hell for this but if it means getting some points of reasoning across or comprehension of it at least, it would be worth a try. This post will be about 2 things; Child support in general and Eppicards... First, eppicards are now used for more than half of the 50 us states to electronically submit funds to recipients. This company is contracted by the states wishing to use their services. The fees associated with this eppicard are set forth by the governing laws of the state in which they are servicing, thus all fees are not the same in every state. Make sense? Hope so. This is a government issued pre paid debit card, not a bank card, not a credit card. The transactions process differently. Not all merchants accept them. They do not work at gas pumps. Not all states require you use an eppicard but about 3 do. If you are going to use an eppicard, just as any other card, you should read the terms and agreements prior to card activation, because by activating and using this card, you are agreeing to these terms. ok, so now that we have that out of the way, lets get to the fees... there are fees associated with using this card, just like any other prepaid card. There is not a monthly maintenance fee but there are certain fees such as atm fees if using out of network or after your free amt of withdrawals, there are balance inquiry fees after so many free calls per month. OK so lets knock this out real quick, back to agreeing to the terms of the card, READ THEM or you will be the moron calling asking why your account is going more and more into the negative each time you call. If you are upset about the fees, dont use the card, if you do not pay these fees for using the card, then the state would be responsible for them, and trust me they are not about to do that. Instead of complaining about this find a solution. most people cant have a REAL bank account because they have overdrawn accounts already anyway and these more than likely are the people complaining about the fees. Ok, now on to child support. CHILD SUPPORT is money paid by a non custodial parent to ASSIST the custodial parent in providing adequate shelter, food, clothing and necessities. Given in most states the amount is not nearly enough to do all these but for some reason the state believes it is. This does not mean go to the liquor store after you just received the irs intercept, this does not mean, set up an account for your new baby daddy to be able to call you from jail, this does not mean go on a shopping spree for yourself or your baby daddy. this is not meant for you to go spending crazy and set up a directv account that you know you normally could not afford, because I GUARANTEE you will be calling in 3 months asking "why did dtv pull your money out, when you did not authorize this payment"... be responsible, if you know you are struggling throughout the year, catch up on bills, save for future bills/food, or buy your child something nice. This does not mean give the funds to your minor child because it is his/hers, ITS NOT! this money is provided  to ASSIST in providing FOR the child. Do not feel bad if you have to use it all towards rent. Afterall, this child is living under that roof right? This money is not to support YOU, YOUR NEW BABY DADDY AND ALL YOURCHILDREN from different daddies. The money is to ASSIST in providing for the child it was ordered for, do not live off of this money, that is not what it is for!!! For the people who do not receive  child support, work, and take care of their babies- KUDOS!!! I am on both sides of the issue here, so to those of you that are eventually going to post "until you have been in my shoes".. Just dont!! My oldest child has an absent parent, who has literally paid about $2000 in cs in 12 yrs, also my husband pays $650 in cs each month to his children outside of our home. FYI... this is just for debate/discussion

by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:42 PM
2 moms liked this

I receive CS for 2 kids at one point it was 4 kids I had the card for 1 month and ditched it.. it works like a debit card and has fees depending where you use it! Why should I have to give a 1,50 extra to this store or that store for money that is rightfully my kids? 

PLUS it got me in trouble I used it like a debit card and spent it on things I should not have and well my bills didn't get paid that month. 

Now I  get it automatically deposited it in my account no hidden fees

mommabear417
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 11:28 PM

There is a few states that do charge for each transaction, but these fees go to the card issuer, not the stores. I agree with you 100%, about not having to pay fees, but this is why you switched to direct deposit. That was exactly my point, you realized the fees were not worth the card so you did something about it. I have a card myself, but have never had any type of issues with it. The fees are different for every state but the only way I get any fees is by using the atm more than twice a month, this is something I am aware of so I dont really use the card, I just take the money out thru a teller once and am done with it.

greenie63
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 11:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not sure how it works in each state, but I have a Bank of America card that the child support is directly deposited to. It's called a "cash pay" account and is a debit card. I do not pay any fees, and I have used it at gas stations. 

Luv.My.Kidz
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 11:44 PM
1 mom liked this

The Eppicard was able to be used at gas pumps until about 2-3 years ago. It's a HUGE inconvenience. I'm in the process of getting my child support deposited to my bank account instead of the Eppicard. It's becoming more and more of an nuisance than helpful.

Bella14308
by Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 11:47 PM
1 mom liked this
My child support card is a chase debit card. no fees. it is an account the state child support disburstment unit set up in my name at chase bank. the only difference between that account and my chase checking account is that it is considered a state account and has no fees. Not even overdraft fees. i can use it anywhere: stores, restaurants, gas pumps, etc.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:48 AM
Quoting mommabear417:

There is a few states that do charge for each transaction, but these fees go to the card issuer, not the stores. I agree with you 100%, about not having to pay fees, but this is why you switched to direct deposit. That was exactly my point, you realized the fees were not worth the card so you did something about it. I have a card myself, but have never had any type of issues with it. The fees are different for every state but the only way I get any fees is by using the atm more than twice a month, this is something I am aware of so I dont really use the card, I just take the money out thru a teller once and am done with it.

I work retail and we have to charge for every transaction. Up to $1 for each transaction. I tell my customers it may be on their bank notes. We went and are out one night I got a the/t alert telling me I had X amount of dollars taken from my account. It was $4 higher than the amount I thought I was paying. I called to ask them why..the restraunt.. they told me they have to charge a seperate fee to cover the machine n system they use to process a debit/credit purchase. It sucks.
mmtosam06
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Mine is issued by Wells Fargo

mommabear417
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Mine is also issued by wells fargo but is still an eppicard. Wells fargo is just the in network that i can use 2 times per month free. My card is a Texas debit card. I know some states have switched from chase to the eppicard, and some have switched from the eppicard to an actual bank. These decisions are all based on the amount the state is going to have to pay for the contract. The more fees the bank waives, the more fees the state has to pay. For instance, WI just switched from chase to eppicard. Another state has switched from eppicard to bank of america. Just like Social Security cards are issued thru comerica bank but are still eppicards, meaning you can not go to comerica to get acct information. Like I cant go to wells fargo to get my acct information. This eppicard has its negatives as does any pre paid card, the reason for the card no longer working at the pumps is bc most pumps require a hold on the card, so instead of having someones funds on hold for 5 days, it is better to just go in and swipe for the amount you will be using.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:43 PM

I have the eppicard, which was just changed in my state to a different provider. I can use it at gas stations now (I could use it for gas, but had to pay inside. It wouldn't take the card at the pump) and I can't go negitive. It won't allow it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)