Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

HELP! help! HELP! help!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 48 Replies
My ex owes over 20,000 in back child support.(over 5 years worth) I recently got the child support office to find him/ and contact his job for wage garnishment. He lawyer-ed up, and is contesting it. UGH!!! Does he think children are free to raise??? Can anyone tell me what to expect or offer any advice?? Thank you!!
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 15, 2013 at 2:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 15, 2013 at 2:57 PM

he is in PA if that helps

mommabear417
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Depends on your state but if it is on paper, these funds are definitely owed... Do not back down, my state attempted to get me to release back pay, DO NOT DO IT!! Fight it all the way, this money is owed to you!! If he has been working using his ssn, the cs office should have already been garnishing his wages. He can not stop a garnishment, and if he is making more than he was when the order was issued, i would really ask for a review of the amount of child support, because they will give you a percentage of his income. If he is a deadbeat father then go all the way, if he is helping as much as possible, i would be ammicable with him. I do not know your situation but good luck!!

mommabear417
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 3:05 PM
1 mom liked this

P.S. by him contesting it, does not stop wage garnishment, well it shouldnt.

MrsSamMerlotte
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 3:07 PM
1 mom liked this
You pay what you owe. If he had no job at the time, it was his responsibility to go to court and ask to pay a lesser amount. If he didn't, thats his fault
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kgsharber
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 3:13 PM
2 moms liked this

He lawyered up to try and open up negotiations. He wants to do like a pp stated and get you to drop the arrears and start fresh. DON'T DO IT!! Not only is that unfair, it teaches him that you are willing to compromise.

My lawyer told me this: When a man says No, it means NO. When a woman says No, it is the start of a negotiation. Don't fall for it, don't entertain anything less than the full amout, if he sees you waiver, he will feel the need to keep pushing for more. Just stop him fromt he jump and say no.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 15, 2013 at 3:31 PM
1 mom liked this
so far he has asked me for nothing. He wants to get out of everything. I am scared the judge is going to give in. I am not.
Quoting kgsharber:

He lawyered up to try and open up negotiations. He wants to do like a pp stated and get you to drop the arrears and start fresh. DON'T DO IT!! Not only is that unfair, it teaches him that you are willing to compromise.

My lawyer told me this: When a man says No, it means NO. When a woman says No, it is the start of a negotiation. Don't fall for it, don't entertain anything less than the full amout, if he sees you waiver, he will feel the need to keep pushing for more. Just stop him fromt he jump and say no.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 15, 2013 at 3:33 PM
He has always had a job-a REALLY good job. He has no other kids, and is not married. He just is a very selfish person who wants everything for himself. He has never paid a single penny in child support...ever. :(
Quoting MrsSamMerlotte:

You pay what you owe. If he had no job at the time, it was his responsibility to go to court and ask to pay a lesser amount. If he didn't, thats his fault
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 15, 2013 at 3:34 PM
thank you so much! One of my friends also said his wages will still be garnished, but so far they still have not done it!! :(
Quoting mommabear417:

Depends on your state but if it is on paper, these funds are definitely owed... Do not back down, my state attempted to get me to release back pay, DO NOT DO IT!! Fight it all the way, this money is owed to you!! If he has been working using his ssn, the cs office should have already been garnishing his wages. He can not stop a garnishment, and if he is making more than he was when the order was issued, i would really ask for a review of the amount of child support, because they will give you a percentage of his income. If he is a deadbeat father then go all the way, if he is helping as much as possible, i would be ammicable with him. I do not know your situation but good luck!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 15, 2013 at 7:04 PM
1 mom liked this

He knew what he needed to pay. If he didn't pay it, that's on him. If he lost his job or made less then he should have filed a modification. 

It sounds like he's going to make an ass of himself in front of the judge. That should go in your favor :) 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:00 PM

I sooooo hope you are right! He and his lawyer are trying to make it look like he not paying is my fault!!!

Quoting Anonymous:

He knew what he needed to pay. If he didn't pay it, that's on him. If he lost his job or made less then he should have filed a modification. 

It sounds like he's going to make an ass of himself in front of the judge. That should go in your favor :) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN