Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you think? Piog

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 4:41 AM
  • 9 Replies
So, today most of my family went out shooting. My daughter was in the car the entire time everyone was shooting. Well after everyone was done we were showing her the gun. Well, I have a picture of my daughter with her dad and I hold a gun and I have people freaking out about it. First of all, the bolt was taken completely out before we took it anywhere near her, it was locked, and not to mention unloaded.
Personally, I don't see a problem with having my child; soon to be children; around firearms. I figure, start teaching them at a young age about gun safety and reduce the risk of them not knowing anything about it in the future and someone getting hurt. I want them to know about all of it before we ourselves own guns. Where we live we are unable to own any but almost everyone on my dads side of the family owns at least one, and most of our friends own a lot. They are always locked away, unloaded and locked.
Do you see any problem with a child who is well supervised at all times being around a firearm?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 4:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Mrs.Subway
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Yes I do, but I doubt my reasons and examples are going to be any help to you or that you even want to hear from someone who would support a gun ban. 

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Knowledge of it's existance is different from being shown how to use it.

nova.mommy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:43 AM

The way I see it, you are teaching her to recognize a toy from the real thing.  

I think teaching kids the safe way to be around guns, they will not be nervous/anxious if they ever come across a gun and accidently hit the trigger.  I know you said they are always unloaded but teach her/them to always assume it is unlocked and loaded if the come across a gun.

Tiffany.Rose
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:33 PM
We aren't teaching her to use it, that won't be until she is older. We were showing her the gun and starting out at a young age of firearm safety.
Tiffany.Rose
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:37 PM
That is our plan. But at two yrs old she won't understand that much at once.

Quoting nova.mommy:

The way I see it, you are teaching her to recognize a toy from the real thing.  

I think teaching kids the safe way to be around guns, they will not be nervous/anxious if they ever come across a gun and accidently hit the trigger.  I know you said they are always unloaded but teach her/them to always assume it is unlocked and loaded if the come across a gun.

littlemoments99
by Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 2:04 PM

I think it's fine. Everyone should educate themselves on firearms. They are a tool and they are dangerous, but so is any tool. A chain saw is dangerous. I wouldn't want my child using that without them having the knowledge of what it is, how to use it safely, etc. Kids aren't stupid, but they are curious. If your child was ever around a gun and was not aware of how to use it safely and didn't understand that it is a dangerous tool then they could get seriously hurt. I think kids that are around guns more and understand them will be much safer around them then a kid who is taught that guns kill and they should be banned. There are kids who will be too afraid to touch a gun, but that might not stop their friend who also knows nothing about guns. 

The liberals always say we should always use logic and science when it comes to any subject, but in this case, they are the ones not using any logic. Guns are tools, people use tools, any tool can be deadly. Cars are just as deadly (if not more) as guns. They can kill one or more people and do often, yet we don't ban them.

My husband just bought a gun and he keeps it in a locked safe, unloaded. Our child is not born yet so we are okay there, but our child will know the proper gun safety when they are old enough to understand. Like never trust that a gun is unloaded, always check yourself. That's a very important rule. It is a rule kids can understand and the more you are told, the more you remember. By the time the kid is 18 they will be the safest gun owner ever.   :)

Another piece of logic to consider that the liberals choose to ignore. Criminals don't follow laws. If a gun ban were ever passed (which would be illegal), would criminals follow the ban? Nope. We would still have shootings and tragedies. They would probably be worse, we would probably have more. If no one but the criminals have guns, we have no chance to survive an attack. I have heard several stories since the newtown tragedy where there has been a shooting and only one person got hurt because someone else had a gun and shot the shooter. That stuff wouldn't be able to happen if there was a gun ban. All it would do would be turn honest, law abiding citizens into criminals because they would hide their guns and carry them secretly.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 17, 2013 at 2:19 PM

I don't see any issues with it. As long as you know what you're doing and teaching her correctly then it's up to you. 

witchybabymomma
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:16 PM

I personally do not allow my son around guns. I also do not allow him to have toy gus because I don't want to associate guns as toys. It's one of those situations where it's a parental choice thing. Personally I don't think it's safe, but as long as they are not trying to have a gun around my child it's their choice.

Diane1223
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Growing up, I was always around guns.  My dad has always supported the 2nd amendment and been an avid supporter of the NRA (National Rifle Assoc.)  I was always taught to treat every gun like it is loaded, whether it was or not.  I don't think there is anything wrong with teaching a child, at a young age.  For all those who want a ban on guns because of the violence around, people are responsible for their own actions....people kill people, guns do not shoot themselves.  Plus, even if guns are banned, if a person really wants one, criminal or not, they will find a way to get it....legally or illegally. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)