Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

I Can't Sleep.....

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 5:55 AM
  • 4 Replies
...when my BF is having a flair up of his arthritis. Well, honestly we're not sure if it's arthritis or not. We went to the VA hospital in SLC last Wednesday and they're thinking it could be Celiac Disease. He's had some major problems with digestive issues that started about the same time as the joint pain and swelling. He never mentioned it to the drs before because he didn't think it was related. I went with him and brought it up, so we may have a new lead. Ugg! At the appointment, they stuck a 25 gauge needle in both knees and both ankles trying to find fluid to test (again, for about the fourth time in 7 months), and he's still in so much pain. His right knee is so swollen and he's on crutches. He just shifts the blankets over his leg and he wakes up in pain. As a result, I'm finding it hard to sleep next to him. I'm 7 months pregnant, so I take up a bit of space (to say the least, lol) and I'm afraid of hurting him. Therefore I'm downstairs on the couch, not sleeping for the third night in a row. I'm SOOOOO tired!! I love to cuddle with him and sleeping in his arms is the best place ever! But I don't want to hurt him. Any suggestions ladies?
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 5:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Crazylife1994
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Does he prop up his leg? When I blew out my knee this is what I had to do to help with the pain. 

As far as cuddling at night if you aren't one to move around a lot then laying against him should be ok. If you are really worry place a pillow between the two of you so you don't hit his knee

mama-sita
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:12 AM

He has tried to prop it up before but says it does little to help him. I've actually talked him into calling the local VA clinic to see if we can get him something for pain management.  Maybe even see if they'll drain the joint.  I hate seeing him suffer.

I do move around a lot.  Apparently, I've been having bad dreams when I do sleep and have kicked and slapped him.  I don't remember doing it, so I find it a little odd and a lot disturbing.  I sleep with a pillow between my legs to help with the strain on my hips and suggested putting one up to protect him.  He's concerned that it will just make things more uncomfortable for him.  I'm up yet again tonight, only I also have a bad migraine tonight, too.  Ugg!  I can't wait to get this all figured out.

Quoting Crazylife1994:

Does he prop up his leg? When I blew out my knee this is what I had to do to help with the pain. 

As far as cuddling at night if you aren't one to move around a lot then laying against him should be ok. If you are really worry place a pillow between the two of you so you don't hit his knee

Crazylife1994
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Just few thoughts that might help if it is in the finances and you feel comfortable with it.

For you there are a few herbs that I took durring pregnacy that helped calm my mind and helped me rest. California Poppy and Skullcap it is availible at bulk herb stores and you make it into a tea. I slept with a pregnacy pillow to stay as comfortable as possible.

For him maybe try acupunture or a hot tub with the jets gently going.

Quoting mama-sita:

He has tried to prop it up before but says it does little to help him. I've actually talked him into calling the local VA clinic to see if we can get him something for pain management.  Maybe even see if they'll drain the joint.  I hate seeing him suffer.

I do move around a lot.  Apparently, I've been having bad dreams when I do sleep and have kicked and slapped him.  I don't remember doing it, so I find it a little odd and a lot disturbing.  I sleep with a pillow between my legs to help with the strain on my hips and suggested putting one up to protect him.  He's concerned that it will just make things more uncomfortable for him.  I'm up yet again tonight, only I also have a bad migraine tonight, too.  Ugg!  I can't wait to get this all figured out.

Quoting Crazylife1994:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:00 PM
Try buying a cheap matters, I know it's weird to not sleep together in the same bed I'm such a light sleeper by two months into my pregnancy I couldn't take it anymore and bought a mattress do I could sleep elsewhere(my husband snores) it really helped me sleep. And at this stage in your pregnancy you need the sleep. And maybe you could even put it in the same room, then u can be together but not worry about hurting him.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)