Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Made from Scratch

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 2:14 PM
  • 22 Replies

DH and I ate lunch today at a burger place that claims they make everything from scratch.. Buns, ground meat, sauces, etc

I asked DH what "from scratch" meant to him and basically by his definition a cake made from a box mix would fall into this category which I disagree. It made me wonder what others think. For me, it means making something from raw minimally processed ingredients (flour, sugar, oil, eggs) but I know a woman who actually makes her own flour! So her meaning goes much further than mine.

What level to you consider something "made from scratch"? Is there anything you make from scratch at your home? 

by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Christy78
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Made from scratch to me is get the flour, suger and spices and make cookies , cakes, and pies peel the apple to make apple pie. Making your own noddles, speghtti sauce. and your own bread . I buy the flour , eggs and the stuff I need to bake with .
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 19, 2013 at 2:32 PM

I make most everything from scratch. Not pasta though, it's too much work to roll out, cut and dry overnight when I can just buy a box and boil it. I make my own graham crackers, granola bars, and stuff like that in addition to all other baked goods, dinners and breakfast items. I also don't make my own tortillas. I've tried, but the store-bought just taste better to me.

What is homemade for most people though? I laughed when someone asked a friend if her cookies were homemade and she said yes and then proceeded to tell about the refrigerated cookie dough she bought. I guess I always thought homemade and made-from-scratch were the same?

FoodIsLife
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 2:45 PM

I guess I feel the same way... made from scratch and homemade are equal. Perhaps one can litterally just mean "I made it at my house vs buying it at the store"? I make cakes and cupcakes using a box mix but I modify a lot of the ingredients and make it my own. I can not and will never make cookies from a bucket, tube, or bag... they just are not the same as making it from scratch.  

You make your own graham crackers? That's awesome, I don't think I've ever come across a recipe for that. We also by tortillas cause it's just easier but i can make them if I feel like it which is never lol!

Quoting Anonymous:

I make most everything from scratch. Not pasta though, it's too much work to roll out, cut and dry overnight when I can just buy a box and boil it. I make my own graham crackers, granola bars, and stuff like that in addition to all other baked goods, dinners and breakfast items. I also don't make my own tortillas. I've tried, but the store-bought just taste better to me.

What is homemade for most people though? I laughed when someone asked a friend if her cookies were homemade and she said yes and then proceeded to tell about the refrigerated cookie dough she bought. I guess I always thought homemade and made-from-scratch were the same?

momamanda
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:09 PM
1 mom liked this

yeah a cake mix is not from scratch. you could call it homemade but NOT scratch. Anything bakeable with the exception of sandwich bread I make from scratch. mostly because it is to time consumming and is not the same as store bought.  everything else, cookies, cake, frosting, muffins, bisquits, buns, etc, etc,etc......

I also do not buy many boxed and frozen items. I make real potatos I do not buy frozen, canned, or boxed, I do not buy mac n cheese. I make my own with store bought noodles and cheese. I dont even buy canned veggies very often only when I get them pratically free with coupons and such. 

taniamorse85
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:45 AM

To me, 'made from scratch' means starting with the raw ingredients and making the dish yourself.  I make most desserts we consume (though we don't eat much dessert) from scratch, and I occasionally make breads.  I also make sauces, seasoning mixes, and a variety of dishes from scratch.

cherylam
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I'd agree with you... to me it means handmade, minimum processed food...like nodles, bread, etc.  I'd only agree to that, if its burgers they should be grinding it themselves.

SuperPickle
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Scratch is from raw ingredients IMO...there is homemade which can include things like packaged pastas or things like that..Some feel that cake mixes and things like hamburger helper can fall under that "homemade" catergory too..

I cook from scratch(including grinding my own flours, homemade pastas, some homemade cheeses) as much as I can.

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:23 PM

My definition is the same as yours.

IntactivistMama
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:57 PM
From scratch means the cake didn't come out of a box.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:19 AM
1 mom liked this

To me (and most people I know) "homemade" and "from scratch" are two completely different things.  I can make a "homemade lasagna" using noodles from a box and maybe even tomatoes from a can to make the sauce.  Or for that matter, even jarred sauce.  It's homemade because it was made at home.  It's not stouffers..  It's not carry out from a restaurant.  I don't think it's lieing or misleading to call that homemade.  Here is still a lot of work to do, even when you use noodles from a box.  And the result is very different than a frozen lasagna.  

If I say it's "made from scratch", that indicates that I used nothing but basic ingredients.  I made the noodles myself.  I used fresh tomatoes to make the sauce, etc.

For the cookies someone mentioned above, refrigerated cookie dough I'd call fresh baked, but probably not homemade.  To me that's kind of like the frozen lasagna.  A mix, I'd be ok to call homemade.  The mix Is basically the flour, baking powder, sugar and some flavoring type ingredients and you still add the eggs, oil, etc. if I measure out the flour, baking powder, sugar, etc. them I'd call those "from scratch".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN