Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Cannot have fun cooking with my kids :(

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:02 PM
  • 69 Replies
2 moms liked this
I'm so OCD and impatient that I can never make it through trying to cook with my kids. They make messes and do things wrong and I just send them out of the kitchen. I always feel horrible after and always apologize. Is anyone else like me or am I shitty all on my own.
I do keep trying and sometimes I just have to take deep breathes and keep going but mostly I just can't handle it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LavenderMom23
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:03 PM
Don't feel bad, send them to a kids cooking camp. My DD made all kinds of things I never would have had the patience for
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
poshkat
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:16 PM
I can't either. Messes drive me crazy.
momamanda
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:01 PM

I enjoy it but I enjoy it most when it's one at a time not me and all 3 of them. My 9 year old can do quite a bit on her own with my spervision. I loose my patience too so I only do it when I am in the right kind of mood. We also tend to use the kitchen table to do it if I have all 3 of them. That way they all have thier personal spaces and Know only to touch what I tell them to touch. I do most of the measuring and just have them dump it in. I don't let mess bother me, all messes are cleanable and life is to short to worry about a few minutes of sweeping and wiping!

nodramamama311
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:14 PM
I know it's silly to worry about messes but I can't stand them!... Lol
It's just part of my issues I guess

Quoting momamanda:

I enjoy it but I enjoy it most when it's one at a time not me and all 3 of them. My 9 year old can do quite a bit on her own with my spervision. I loose my patience too so I only do it when I am in the right kind of mood. We also tend to use the kitchen table to do it if I have all 3 of them. That way they all have thier personal spaces and Know only to touch what I tell them to touch. I do most of the measuring and just have them dump it in. I don't let mess bother me, all messes are cleanable and life is to short to worry about a few minutes of sweeping and wiping!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Connie04
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:34 AM

I feel the same way.  It's not so much the mess, but the piddling around that drives me crazy.  I just want to get it over with and move on!

TugBoatMama
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:36 AM

I'm ocd and I have a hard time letting anyone help me in the kitchen at all. It makes more work for me in the end but I feel like I can't relenquish control of the kitchen for some reason. I wish it didn't bother me so much.

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:53 AM
Why don't you do meal that doesn't involve a lot? Pizza for example. You can get little crust, spread the sauce yourself and have then add the cheese and toppings.

Or have them sit on the counter and read the instructions to you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nodramamama311
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:16 AM
Pizza was what we were trying to do yesterday...lol. Cheese was all over, and sauce. I couldn't take it. I just have to cook alone. I can't even stand to be in the kitchen when my husband is cooking because he will touch raw meat and then touch other things without realizing it and it makes my skin crawl. I just have to come in after and sanitize everything, EVERYTHING!

Quoting marchantmom06:

Why don't you do meal that doesn't involve a lot? Pizza for example. You can get little crust, spread the sauce yourself and have then add the cheese and toppings.

Or have them sit on the counter and read the instructions to you.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nerys-Kianna
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:27 AM

It depends on day and time. I like to cook with my boys but sometimes I abolutely need them out of my kitchen. Everything is to much then, even my dog laying right where I have to be for the next step or for the prep of things.

GertieK
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:32 AM

I guess I am odd man out because messes don't bother me when it comes to stuff like that.  I wanted them to learn how to cook, how to do it with minimal mess (so that was part of the learning process), and how to straighten up the kitchen afterward.  Once they learned that they had to clean up behind themselves, they leaned how to keep it neat.  I used to hate to allow anyone in my kitchen, but I guess being older has changed me, because I don't care anymore.  If you want to cook - go for it - I don't care.  Just don't walk out and leave a mess.  Fortunately, my husband is a dish washer - I cook, he washes up and keeps the kitchen clean.  I could never have allowed that years ago, but not any more.  Wash on!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)