Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Best formula for gassy baby with reflux??

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:04 AM
  • 6 Replies
DD has reflux and I feel like she literally throws up her entire bottle every single meal (although she must not be since she is gaining weight)...she is also very gassy and in pain. We had her on Enfamil newborn and she was getting gas so we just switched to Enfamil Gentlease which made her way way worse. She is in much more pain now than before and seems to get it a lot more often. She's only been on it for 2 days but enough is enough, I can't see her go through all this pain. We tried both liquid & powder, both are bad. Any suggestions? Is there a formula that helps both gas & "spit" up?
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:06 AM

maybe she is lactose intolerant, have you tried a soy based formula?  Not sure about the reflux issue but was it actually diagnosed?  I saw a program that showed that sometimes them spitting up looks worse than it actually is such as only a few ounces versus appearing to be the whole bottle.  Also look at your technique when giving her the bottle such as if she is isnt elevated enough or if there is pressure on her stomach based on her position.  I used to sit in an Indian style position when giving their bottle in that their head was elevated enough while it laid on my leg and they legs were extended enough to not have any pressure on their belly as they laid across my other leg.  Also just because they burp once doesnt mean they are done burping so try bicycling her legs and rubbing her belly counterclockwise.

What about Nestle Goodstart as another formula option?

diva_mom1990
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:21 AM
Try soy based formula i know its hard for you and your little one we changed my sons formula about three times
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momfirst13
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:38 PM

My first son had the projectile vomiting thing going on, he was so gassy, and fussy. It was no fun for either of us. I tried so many formulas, it was ridiculous and getting very expensive. I ended up putting him on goats milk. and good old Maalox is what I was told to give him. It helped a lot. Not a cure but it helped. But this was 20 years ago. My third child I had him on Allimentum because he had reflux and was gassy. That worked really well. I kept him on that until it was time to come off formula. Something I discovered when my fifth and last (he is now 5) is gripe water. It helps a lot with the fussiness, gas, and colic. It's also very safe to give even when very young. Like I said before my oldest was the one who really fussed so much and was gassy and bellyached a lot. I used to lay a blanket on the dryer and lay him on his belly, than turn it on. He would fall right asleep. The light motion and just the warmth seemed to of soothed him. Also just a lightly warmed up blanket wrapped around the midsection helps too I find. And by the way, the dryer thing, I know it should be obvious, but I'll say it anyways, I never left him alone on there and was right there with him the whole time, and not for prolonged periods of time did I keep him on there. Other than that the Johnsons lavender nightime baby bath was great and seemed to soothe my little one. Sometimes it's the little things that work, a little cereal in mixed with the formula, helps to keep it down, not laying down flat when given a bottle, and very frequent breaks during feeding. Eating way too fast just makes it all worst. I hope some of this would help you, I know how it is. Done it, been there five times!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:10 PM

They make baby prilosec. 

Two of my three kids needed to be on it for acid reflux. I'm not sure changing the formula would even help. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Breast milk.
M213
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:39 PM
She is actually already on Zantac and I breastfed for the first 2 months and there's no difference in the amount of vomit. Ran out of milk and had to switch to formula. Just looking for a formula that may help with the excessive throwing up
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)