Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Antibiotic Cefdinir and Night Terrors?

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:16 PM
  • 16 Replies

My daughter has been on Cefdinir since Saturday, and on Sunday or Monday night, she started waking up, screaming and crying, around 5 hrs after she took her last dose of the night.  I googled it and found a few moms asking that question on different sites.  But I called the pharmacy and they said it isn't listed on the list of side effects.  I have a call into the dr, but they haven't returned my call yet.

Has anyone else had a child (mine is 6) that has had night terrors on this antibiotic?

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BabyGsMommy11
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:19 PM
My little guy had trouble sleeping when he was on it as well. It tore up his tummy. Idk about night terrors.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:00 PM

My kids have never been on it but I wouldn't give it to her anymore. 

Just because they don't list it as a side effect, doesn't mean it can't be one. Especially if you've found other moms having the same issues. 

2kids19yrsapart
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:32 PM

I spoke with her doctor's nurse.  She said since my daughter has had 6 days of the medicine, he thought it would be fine to stop it.  She is having surgery in a week to have her adenoids removed, so we didn't want to stop it if she still needed it (or even wanted to know if they could give her something else to finish out the round of antibiotics).  The nurse said this side effect wasn't listed, but it could be a very uncommon one that they haven't researched yet. 

So...no more medicine, and crossing our fingers that she sleeps sound tonight (and we do too).

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:35 PM
My dd had a bad reaction to it. Gave her bad diareah ( go figure, right when we were working on potty training). She barely ate. After 4 days ( supposed to be on 10) I called the dr. I wasn't going to put her through any more. They gave her the z PAC. Worked much better
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:28 PM
Call me crazy but night terrors are a crappy reason to stop taking an antibiotic, the not eating excessive diarrhea I understand. And are u sure they're night terrors and not nightmares? I have nightmares three or four times a week and yeah they suck, but night terrors are a whole different ball game.
marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:36 PM
My kids take omnicef all the time because they are allergic to most Cillin drugs and have not ever had nightmares. I think taking her off the antibiotic because of a nightmare is silly. And why would you just call now if it happened Monday? That was 5 days ago.

You don't wake up during night terrors. And it would have scared you bad enough to call the dr that morning.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2kids19yrsapart
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:56 PM

It is night terrors, and it is almost like she is still asleep through them. She sits up in bed, screaming at the top of her lungs, and crying.  She tries talking, but we can't understand any words.  We get a wet washcloth and wipe her face off, and she finally starts to calm down, then wants to cuddle with me and goes straight back to sleep. The whole thing lasts maybe 5 minutes at the most.  She has had nightmares before, and this is different.

Quoting Anonymous:

Call me crazy but night terrors are a crappy reason to stop taking an antibiotic, the not eating excessive diarrhea I understand. And are u sure they're night terrors and not nightmares? I have nightmares three or four times a week and yeah they suck, but night terrors are a whole different ball game.

2kids19yrsapart
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:58 PM

It started on Sunday or Monday night. We actually thought they were just bad dreams until it kept going, and exactly 5 hrs after she had the dose of medicine.  We put 2 and 2 together and figured it out.

And she has had enough of the meds, her dr said.  If he thought she needed more, he would have told us to keep giving it to her, or he would have called in something else.

Quoting marchantmom06:

My kids take omnicef all the time because they are allergic to most Cillin drugs and have not ever had nightmares. I think taking her off the antibiotic because of a nightmare is silly. And why would you just call now if it happened Monday? That was 5 days ago.

You don't wake up during night terrors. And it would have scared you bad enough to call the dr that morning.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:05 PM
Just checking we moms tend to over react, at least I do, but when I get night terrors I can't sleep for two days, when I try I have what feels like panic attacks because I'm too afraid to go to sleep. I'd keep her on it.

Quoting 2kids19yrsapart:

It is night terrors, and it is almost like she is still asleep through them. She sits up in bed, screaming at the top of her lungs, and crying.  She tries talking, but we can't understand any words.  We get a wet washcloth and wipe her face off, and she finally starts to calm down, then wants to cuddle with me and goes straight back to sleep. The whole thing lasts maybe 5 minutes at the most.  She has had nightmares before, and this is different.

Quoting Anonymous:

2kids19yrsapart
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:11 PM

I do still overreact sometimes, my son is 25 and daughter is 6.  I am older, 46, so I have almost experienced it all.  Been there, done that, and doing it again. LOL  But, I do feel like this is night terrors because it is so different.

And thank you.  She will be sleeping with me for the next few days (always ends up in my bed after her night terrors anyway).  Spring break started today, so we are gonna relax, and sleep late, but she will be close to me.  Hubby gets the couch.

Quoting Anonymous:

Just checking we moms tend to over react, at least I do, but when I get night terrors I can't sleep for two days, when I try I have what feels like panic attacks because I'm too afraid to go to sleep. I'd keep her on it.

Quoting 2kids19yrsapart:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)