Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Woes of The Double Stroller: Warning! A Rant!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 50 Replies

Ok. I get it. No one acknowledges the annoyance of oversized strollers more than me. I hate the thing. I hate dragging it out of the car. I hate taking it 's bulky menace places and more than anything I HATE that I NEED it. Is it just me or am I getting the evil eye when I take this thing out? And more than anyone, I get the evil eye from women who should be standing up for one another! I try to be polite with the thing to the point of constantly apologizing for it. I wait far out of the way till everyone passes. I don't run up on people's heels or act like they should move out of the way for me. I request seats in resteraunts that are out of the way of people and servers. And I still get hateful disgusted stares. I've tried wearing my baby but where I live its cold and I hate taking the baby out of his car seat when sleeping. It is easier for me just to plop him on the stroller rather than put DD in the umbrella stroller and wear him.

This stupid stroller was basically my only option. My husband works out of town all the time and occasionally through my depression, isolation and sleep deprivation I need to get out of the house and take the thing out because its the only way for me to get out and shop or eat out. I don't have family or friends to help. I am completely alone. Its the ONLY way. I have a 2 year old who is borderline autistic. I can't take her places holding her hand because she RUNS and doesn't stop and throws tantrums, throwing herself on the floor. My baby is 3 months old and in order to manage the two I have to take the stroller. Compounding things I suffer from Rheumatoid Arthritis and I cannot physically carry my thirty pound toddler and my 14 lb baby around everywhere. I tried to find the smallest lightest stroller, its a tandem,not the double side by side. I chose it this way so that it would be narrow and less annoying but I STILL get looks like I'm from the moon. Why is there such little tolerance for mothers and strollers? It saddens me. People actually don't hold the door for me etc. Kind of like saying "well you asked for it with that thing". Does anyone have these types of issues with their double stroller?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:28 AM
I hate double or oversized strollers. I used the smallest umbrella stroller I could find. I hate when women bring them in bathrooms and run people over. Don't even start me on how much I hate them. I have zero tolerance because mothers with them have zero tolerance like we should bow to them for having 2 kids close in age.
lovinmyboys...
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:32 AM
I have no problem with strollers of any size. The only thing I hate is when I am in an almost full elevator and someone with a stroller thinks they must squeeze in instead of just waiting for the elevator to come back. I am considerate and if I have my ds in a stroller and there isn't much room in the elevator, I will wait.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

I hate double or oversized strollers. I used the smallest umbrella stroller I could find. I hate when women bring them in bathrooms and run people over. Don't even start me on how much I hate them. I have zero tolerance because mothers with them have zero tolerance like we should bow to them for having 2 kids close in age.

So you're punishing women for having children close in age now? SOME mothers act like the should be bowed to. Not all. I guess if you ever had children that were close in age, then you would understand the plight. Since apparently you do not, then you really can't understand. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Quoting lovinmyboys...:

I have no problem with strollers of any size. The only thing I hate is when I am in an almost full elevator and someone with a stroller thinks they must squeeze in instead of just waiting for the elevator to come back. I am considerate and if I have my ds in a stroller and there isn't much room in the elevator, I will wait.

I totally agree with you. I would never try to squeeze my giant stroller in the elevator with people in it. I always wait until it is empty to get in. I think its all about trying to be as considerate as possible with those things. I remember when I didn't have kids and how annoyed I would get with women who had these huge strollers and would run everyone over with them and act entitled with them. I thinks those people ruin it for the rest of us.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:47 AM
I never said all, but many I have encountered are pushy like you should jump out of their way with their stroller the size of a tank. I rarely see tiny umbrella stollers being used any longer.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

So you're punishing women for having children close in age now? SOME mothers act like the should be bowed to. Not all. I guess if you ever had children that were close in age, then you would understand the plight. Since apparently you do not, then you really can't understand. 

ambertreas76
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I feel your pain!  I hated the double.  My 2 kids are a year and 3 days apart.  I did not have a side by side.  Mine was a double front to back.  The size of a train and felt like it weighed as much as a train.  I'm a full body arthritic thanks to a drunk that t-boned us 10 yrs ago, so, the weight of it caused me alot of problems.  Getting through doors when I was by myself was another huge frustration.  I would get dirty looks or laughter from having the giant stroller.  All of it pissed me off beyond belief.  I tried the single stroller with a baby carrier... not good because of my arthritis.  Then.... just when I was ready to become an agoraphobic... I found the.... SIT AND STAND!!!  Once my son was about 30 lbs, we got one.  It was a life saver.  It's the size of a regular stroller and super light, easy to use...  It has a harness seat in front and a bench seat in back.  Just a Godsend!!!  Look into one of those.  It helped me!

Heres a link... SIT N STAND!!!  

http://www.babytrend.com/sit_n_stand_sup_trade_sup_/

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

I never said all, but many I have encountered are pushy like you should jump out of their way with their stroller the size of a tank. I rarely see tiny umbrella stollers being used any longer.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

I understand you, really, I do. I was one of the people that really had a peeve for strollers before I had two kids and HAD to do the unthinkable. And I do think many moms act entitled and downright rude with these strollers when it was their choice to have a gaggle of kids. My second was a total accident. I got pregnant on birth control. But now that I have him, I have no choice and have to get around somehow. And I chose the smallest most affordable stroller I could find. I would never spend $700 on an Escalade of a stroller. I wish these manufacturers would come up with something that isn't ginormous! They keep changing safety ratings etc and think that mom's want an SUV sized stroller. Its really annoying. But I do understand you.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting ambertreas76:

I feel your pain!  I hated the double.  My 2 kids are a year and 3 days apart.  I did not have a side by side.  Mine was a double front to back.  The size of a train and felt like it weighed as much as a train.  I'm a full body arthritic thanks to a drunk that t-boned us 10 yrs ago, so, the weight of it caused me alot of problems.  Getting through doors when I was by myself was another huge frustration.  I would get dirty looks or laughter from having the giant stroller.  All of it pissed me off beyond belief.  I tried the single stroller with a baby carrier... not good because of my arthritis.  Then.... just when I was ready to become an agoraphobic... I found the.... SIT AND STAND!!!  Once my son was about 30 lbs, we got one.  It was a life saver.  It's the size of a regular stroller and super light, easy to use...  It has a harness seat in front and a bench seat in back.  Just a Godsend!!!  Look into one of those.  It helped me!

Heres a link... SIT N STAND!!!  

http://www.babytrend.com/sit_n_stand_sup_trade_sup_/

Nice to know someone who knows how I feel! You might be onto something with that stroller! I'm going to look into it for sure! Thanks!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:38 PM

And Amber, I'm sorry about your accident. Its terrible pain, literally, I feel it for you. Its a conundrum because either you become a total hermit or find a way to get out there, pain and all. I get ridiculed as well. In fact I took the "Beast" out yesterday and was laughed at by a crowd of teenagers for it. A whole gang of them who laughed as I struggled my way out of a set of doors rather than any one of them holding it for me. It was awful.

Shopsha0911
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't see what the big deal is, it's temporary and a necessary evil.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)