Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Parents Who Use Force to Discipline May Increase Autism Risk in Their Grandchildren??

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:00 PM
  • 23 Replies

Parents Who Use Force to Discipline May Increase Autism Risk in Their Grandchildren

by Michele Zipp 

autism awarenessRecent research suggests that women who have been abused as children were more likely to have a child diagnosed with autism. The women who endured the most stress from physical and emotional abuse were 60 percent more likely to have a child on the spectrum. Those who were abused physically, emotionally, and sexually had a 3.5 times higher rate of having a child with autism.

Everything that we do and everything that happens to us does have an effect not only on us but our children. And how we treat our own children, and what types of discipline we choose, may effect not only our kids but our grandchildren. Which is very frightening.

The Harvard School of Public Health conducted the study with lead author Andrea L. Roberts. They looked at data from over 52,000 women for over 20 years. The abuse these women suffered in childhood ranged from being struck by a belt or other object, cruel punishments, or hit hard enough to be bruised. They were asked if they had ever been insulted or screamed at and also if there was any sexual misconduct.

They have an idea why this happens and it's because those who have been abused respond to stress in a heightened manner, which leads to higher stress hormones, which can affect the fetus' brain. Roberts, the study's author said:

As a society, we need to focus more on how children are cared for and give more support to families who might be at risk for abusing their children.

There was a child found locked in a cage by his dad. This happens more than we even know. There are people, monsters, like Jerry Sandusky. There are children whipped with a belt repeatedly for acting out. And, to me, none of that is justifiable. How can you strike a child like that for being "bad" when hitting is a bad thing to do? How does that teach a lesson? Spanking has been shown to make our children more aggressive and while some think it helps a child learn how not to act out at that moment, it fails to teach the correct behavior in the long run.

I think as parents we need to be very, very careful about teaching our children right from wrong, and we may not always choose the right ways to handle things. Parenting is hard. We do make mistakes, too. Thank goodness we don't have someone with a belt waiting to whip us when we slip up. We also have to learn from those mistakes. And learn the best ways to discipline without causing harm. Hitting our children is wrong and can hurt them, cause them stress throughout their life, and increase the risk of autism in our grandchildren as this study suggests.

Some may think that's easy for me to say because I do not believe in any form of corporal punishment for a child. I do not spank my kids. I am also not going to tell another parent the best way to parent. But I do believe we all need to be mindful that children deserve respect. They may be little but they feel big feelings -- feelings that last a lifetime, feelings that may even affect their own children's health. That kind of punishment leaves scars ... and not just the visible kinds. And those scars can in turn hurt future generations. We, of course, also need to help victims of abuse -- to find better ways for them to deal with that kind of stress.

What do you think of these findings?

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Marimaru
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I think they should stop "suggesting" correlations until they have an answer.  I've seen half a dozen of these articles in the last year and none of them are definitive.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:25 PM
What a crock of shit. We had not much autism growing up and many parents ruled with a belt back then. Not my parents but many. I thought they have a gene identified as a possible trigger.
1CrazyCajun
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Like PP said, bullshit. Show me the proof. I wish people would stop speculating. I think all these types of articles do is stir up fear.

Mainstream Moms Attached Parenting/Crunchy not quite your style?Come join other like minded moms.

kimsamomof3
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:35 PM
Wow! This is such nonsense it's pathetic.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AliKatAK47
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 5:15 PM
Makes no sense. My grandparents ruled with an iron thumb. That includes spankings with belts, switches, and hands. They have 6 normal kids and 12 fairly normal grand kids. At least one of us should have autism if that study is true.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kellynh
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Bull!!!

slw123
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I don't believe it at all.

la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:18 PM

I don't believe it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:55 AM
cough *bullshit* cough
EarlGrayHot
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Physical punishment is just the lazy parent's way.  You have to try harder and figure out smart ways to discipline and too many parents refuse to make that effort.  As for how much autism in the past-we wouldn't know because families were usually loathe to admit it.  Any child not "normal" was either kept out of sight, sent to a special school or ignored.  WE haven't had reliable statistics for most of human history on things like this.  Bottom line is it is NEVER a good idea to hit children.  You do teach that violence is appropriate in solving disputes mand that's not good.  If you hit your spouse you'll likely be charged with assault.  Why then is it ok to hit a small and defenseless person?  The logic of corporal punishment is just not there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)