Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Top 1% (very interesting)

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Thought some might find this interesting.

A different way to express the wealth inequality in America today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPKKQnijnsM&feature=player_embedded

I was shocked; AND I'M A CONSERVATIVE!!!

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:41 PM
Replies (21-30):
ZanderandBella
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:53 AM
1 mom liked this

My thoughts....The top 1% is made up of generations of hard work and smart choices. We couldn't change the wealth distribution with one generation. My mom grew up in a poor family. She worked hard to get us to lower middle class. I have been able to get us to higher middle class and hopefully maybe higher than that. My children will have better chances than I did as I'll be able to send them to great colleges whereas I couldn't even go to college. 

My experience with people in direct sales has shown me that only 1% of people actually will go all out and push for their dreams. They will work way more than full time and won't stop. About 25-50% will quit. That leaves about 49% that do it either part time or when they feel like it. I know that all of them could make a lot in this business but to be honest, many just want it given to them. That's the sad reality that the United States has given. What I call the 'welfare mentality'. I'll have people sign up and then expect me to do the work for them.  If our generations would get out of that mentality and work hard for their future generations, I could see the wealth distributed more equally. My mom has 10 brothers and sisters. One of her brothers has done quite well for himself. All of the rest are still poor like their parents, besides my mom. It will be up to their children to decide if they want to change that but from what I can see, maybe only 1 or 2 of the kids want to change that out of the many cousins I have. 

Rich dad, poor dad mentality also has a lot to do with it. Many people are completely ok with trading time for money and working a job. Very few people take on the rich dad mentality and refuse to work for someone else. My husband has the poor dad mentality. He is set to retiring with the military. I personally cannot see myself working for someone else. So much to the point that I have worked extremely hard to build up my business. He could retire right now if he wanted to but he is set on getting the military retirement which by the time we get there, won't be enough. Even his dad has to work a second job to get a second retirement because his military retirement isn't enough. We need more rich dad mentalities for more equal wealth distribution. 

Back to my flat rate tax. I definitely feel we should have that with no refunds. 10-15% to the state, and nothing back to people. It's a tax. Rather than letting them borrow the money, we give it to the country. It would settle debts a little easier if they didn't have to pay the money back to people including those getting more than what they paid in. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree with flat rate taxes.

Do please let me know what you think!

I assume you mean you're a substitute teacher.  My mom was a high school math teacher; when we left our hometown, she had to sub.  It was hard!  All the best to you! :-)

Quoting ZanderandBella:

I believe that everyone should have a flat rate % no matter how much they earn. I find it ridiculous that I am paying more % wise every time my paychecks go up.

Oh and couldn't watch the video yet since I'm at school as a sub

Heather- Air Force Wife, Mom of two, WAHM with It Works! Global~ The Body wrap company
There are people that will tell you that you can't do it. They will even try to hold you back. However, it only means THEY can't do it. You can do anything you set your mind to and are willing to work hard to get.

PinkButterfly66
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 1:29 PM

The top one percent is defined as having a minimum income of $516,633 in 2010, there are higher incomes than that and they life a different lifestyle and actually do "all the crap mentioned".  They don't work 7 days a week and do live the life of leisure.  Comments?

Quoting Anonymous:

Dh works his ass off and we are in the top 1% and yes we pay 45%. Trying to tell you that you do not know what you are talking about. You need to research more. Dh does not golf ever. Works 7 days a week. Does not work for himself and does not attend all the crap you mentioned.

Quoting Anonymous:

You pay 45% of your income to the government....

AND YOU'RE DEFENDING THE TOP 1%????

One of us missed something.

Quoting Anonymous:

We pay 45% in total taxes. I'll just leave it at that. Always owe at tax time.

Quoting Anonymous:

Apparently, I was unclear.  What I was getting at was looking at the top 1%, not the top 25% or who pays the most taxes.

Are you in the top 1%?

Quoting Anonymous:

Who cares how the top 25% pays taxes. They pay nearly all the taxes.

Quoting Anonymous:

I have done research.  The top 25% may pay 85% of taxes, but how does that break down according to percentage of wealth and how does that breakdown look over the entire top 25%?  So the point I mentioned is above the 25% mark, so what?

Quoting Anonymous:

Do research. The top 25% pays 85% of taxes.

Quoting Anonymous:

1. Yeah, that's a nice thing to say, but I've been working my butt off all my life (as has my DH) and we're no better off than when we started, in fact, we're not even that well off anymore.

2. Who pays the most taxes is NOT the top 1%.  There's a point at which the top X% are paying less than the tens of percentages below them.

3. As I said, I'm a conservative.  I don't agree with stealing from Peter to pay Paul either.
The market isn't free to regulate itself, therefore the rich keep getting richer and the rest just keep getting poorer.  The government has bound up the market in just enough laws and regulations to make it impossible for anyone to GET to the "top".

Quoting Anonymous:

Then get off your ass and become the top. Who pays the most taxes because the bottom 50% don't pay shit and many take and don't give dime. I hate the steal from Peter to pay Paul.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 10, 2013 at 1:41 PM
I read on websites $250,000 and higher. You can say what you want. We have a friend who makes more than a million a year and busts his butt working. It is people like you who do not really know. Yes, some do not work. Many do.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

The top one percent is defined as having a minimum income of $516,633 in 2010, there are higher incomes than that and they life a different lifestyle and actually do "all the crap mentioned".  They don't work 7 days a week and do live the life of leisure.  Comments?

Quoting Anonymous:

Dh works his ass off and we are in the top 1% and yes we pay 45%. Trying to tell you that you do not know what you are talking about. You need to research more. Dh does not golf ever. Works 7 days a week. Does not work for himself and does not attend all the crap you mentioned.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Apparently, I was unclear.  What I was getting at was looking at the top 1%, not the top 25% or who pays the most taxes.

Are you in the top 1%?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

I have done research.  The top 25% may pay 85% of taxes, but how does that break down according to percentage of wealth and how does that breakdown look over the entire top 25%?  So the point I mentioned is above the 25% mark, so what?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

1. Yeah, that's a nice thing to say, but I've been working my butt off all my life (as has my DH) and we're no better off than when we started, in fact, we're not even that well off anymore.

2. Who pays the most taxes is NOT the top 1%.  There's a point at which the top X% are paying less than the tens of percentages below them.

3. As I said, I'm a conservative.  I don't agree with stealing from Peter to pay Paul either.
The market isn't free to regulate itself, therefore the rich keep getting richer and the rest just keep getting poorer.  The government has bound up the market in just enough laws and regulations to make it impossible for anyone to GET to the "top".

Quoting Anonymous:

Then get off your ass and become the top. Who pays the most taxes because the bottom 50% don't pay shit and many take and don't give dime. I hate the steal from Peter to pay Paul.

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 1:47 PM
We are in the top 1%. We pay a boat load of taxes each year. And then I log on to see what all the welfare moms are buying with our money. In all honesty it doesn't reall bother me. We made sure our children and future grandchild will be we'll provided for and not just monetarily. And we can't take the money with us when we die. So there is no use bitching about it. It goes to help families that struggle. And if they aren't really struggling then you know what? Karma will come around.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 1:53 PM
Actually it was 370,000 gross income not including capital gains. Just FYI.
They are drs. Lawyers, real estate agents, and even a nurse or two. So they do work. Not just sit around and sip mimosas.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you in the top 1%?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Nope, $250,000, does not qualify as the top 1%, nationally -- maybe locally depending on the state where you live.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/10/30/nyregion/where-the-one-percent-fit-in-the-hierarchy-of-income.html?_r=0

http://www.forbes.com/sites/moneywisewomen/2012/03/21/average-america-vs-the-one-percent/

"Before you can talk about the 1 percent, it’s important to put the figures into perspective by understanding exactly what that figure means. The average annual income of the top 1 percent of the population is $717,000, compared to the average income of the rest of the population, which is around $51,000. The real disparity between the classes isn’t in income, however, but in net value: The 1 percent are worth about $8.4 million, or 70 times the worth of the lower classes."

"The 1 percent are executives, doctors, lawyers and politicians, among other things. Within this group of people is an even smaller and wealthier subset of people, 1 percent of the top, or .01 percent of the entire nation. Those people have incomes of over $27 million, or roughly 540 times the national average income. Altogether, the top 1 percent control 43 percent of the wealth in the nation; the next 4 percent control an additional 29 percent."

Pretty eye opening, huh?
Quoting Anonymous:

I read on websites $250,000 and higher. You can say what you want. We have a friend who makes more than a million a year and busts his butt working. It is people like you who do not really know. Yes, some do not work. Many do.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you in the top 1%?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 10, 2013 at 1:58 PM
Doesn't make them less worthy??? Like they should all have their salary cut?? No. A person with a GED or droppped out of HS is not gonna make what a doctor makes who went to college for 10 years. A person with a degree makes over a lifetime a million more than someone with a hs diploma.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Nope, $250,000, does not qualify as the top 1%, nationally -- maybe locally depending on the state where you live.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/10/30/nyregion/where-the-one-percent-fit-in-the-hierarchy-of-income.html?_r=0

http://www.forbes.com/sites/moneywisewomen/2012/03/21/average-america-vs-the-one-percent/

"Before you can talk about the 1 percent, it’s important to put the figures into perspective by understanding exactly what that figure means. The average annual income of the top 1 percent of the population is $717,000, compared to the average income of the rest of the population, which is around $51,000. The real disparity between the classes isn’t in income, however, but in net value: The 1 percent are worth about $8.4 million, or 70 times the worth of the lower classes."

"The 1 percent are executives, doctors, lawyers and politicians, among other things. Within this group of people is an even smaller and wealthier subset of people, 1 percent of the top, or .01 percent of the entire nation. Those people have incomes of over $27 million, or roughly 540 times the national average income. Altogether, the top 1 percent control 43 percent of the wealth in the nation; the next 4 percent control an additional 29 percent."

Pretty eye opening, huh?
Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you in the top 1%?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 2:02 PM
I find it hard to believe you pay 45%. The tax bracket for you would be 33%. The top tax bracket is only 39.6% and that's for 425,000 or more.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you in the top 1%?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 10, 2013 at 2:06 PM
I never said a salary. We just got our taxes back and owe more. We do the math from the taxes paid. Believe what you want. I don't care. I am sick of people putting people down while living the American dream and making something of themselves while others are sitting wanting govt tax money handed to them.

Quoting marchantmom06:

I find it hard to believe you pay 45%. The tax bracket for you would be 33%. The top tax bracket is only 39.6% and that's for 425,000 or more.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you in the top 1%?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 2:06 PM
Did you read what you posted? Or do you know what AVERAGE means? They take the top earners of 27 million dollars annually and the bottome earners of the one percent and average it out. 717,000 is not what one needs to earn to be considered 1%.

understanding exactly what that figure means. The average annual income of the top 1 percent of the population is $717,000, compared to the average income of the rest of the population, which is around $51,000

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Pretty eye opening, huh?
Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you in the top 1%?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)