Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Top 1% (very interesting)

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Thought some might find this interesting.

A different way to express the wealth inequality in America today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPKKQnijnsM&feature=player_embedded

I was shocked; AND I'M A CONSERVATIVE!!!

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:41 PM
Replies (51-52):
BrighteyedAsh
by Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 4:43 AM
1) Not everyone who makes it has a degree.
2) Not everyone who has a degree makes it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Doesn't make them less worthy??? Like they should all have their salary cut?? No. A person with a GED or droppped out of HS is not gonna make what a doctor makes who went to college for 10 years. A person with a degree makes over a lifetime a million more than someone with a hs diploma.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Nope, $250,000, does not qualify as the top 1%, nationally -- maybe locally depending on the state where you live.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/10/30/nyregion/where-the-one-percent-fit-in-the-hierarchy-of-income.html?_r=0

http://www.forbes.com/sites/moneywisewomen/2012/03/21/average-america-vs-the-one-percent/

"Before you can talk about the 1 percent, it’s important to put the figures into perspective by understanding exactly what that figure means. The average annual income of the top 1 percent of the population is $717,000, compared to the average income of the rest of the population, which is around $51,000. The real disparity between the classes isn’t in income, however, but in net value: The 1 percent are worth about $8.4 million, or 70 times the worth of the lower classes."

"The 1 percent are executives, doctors, lawyers and politicians, among other things. Within this group of people is an even smaller and wealthier subset of people, 1 percent of the top, or .01 percent of the entire nation. Those people have incomes of over $27 million, or roughly 540 times the national average income. Altogether, the top 1 percent control 43 percent of the wealth in the nation; the next 4 percent control an additional 29 percent."

Pretty eye opening, huh?
Quoting Anonymous:

I read on websites $250,000 and higher. You can say what you want. We have a friend who makes more than a million a year and busts his butt working. It is people like you who do not really know. Yes, some do not work. Many do.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

The top one percent is defined as having a minimum income of $516,633 in 2010, there are higher incomes than that and they life a different lifestyle and actually do "all the crap mentioned".  They don't work 7 days a week and do live the life of leisure.  Comments?

Quoting Anonymous:

Dh works his ass off and we are in the top 1% and yes we pay 45%. Trying to tell you that you do not know what you are talking about. You need to research more. Dh does not golf ever. Works 7 days a week. Does not work for himself and does not attend all the crap you mentioned.

Quoting Anonymous:

You pay 45% of your income to the government....

AND YOU'RE DEFENDING THE TOP 1%????

One of us missed something.

Quoting Anonymous:

We pay 45% in total taxes. I'll just leave it at that. Always owe at tax time.

Quoting Anonymous:

Apparently, I was unclear.  What I was getting at was looking at the top 1%, not the top 25% or who pays the most taxes.

Are you in the top 1%?

Quoting Anonymous:

Who cares how the top 25% pays taxes. They pay nearly all the taxes.

Quoting Anonymous:

I have done research.  The top 25% may pay 85% of taxes, but how does that break down according to percentage of wealth and how does that breakdown look over the entire top 25%?  So the point I mentioned is above the 25% mark, so what?

Quoting Anonymous:

Do research. The top 25% pays 85% of taxes.

Quoting Anonymous:

1. Yeah, that's a nice thing to say, but I've been working my butt off all my life (as has my DH) and we're no better off than when we started, in fact, we're not even that well off anymore.

2. Who pays the most taxes is NOT the top 1%.  There's a point at which the top X% are paying less than the tens of percentages below them.

3. As I said, I'm a conservative.  I don't agree with stealing from Peter to pay Paul either.
The market isn't free to regulate itself, therefore the rich keep getting richer and the rest just keep getting poorer.  The government has bound up the market in just enough laws and regulations to make it impossible for anyone to GET to the "top".

Quoting Anonymous:

Then get off your ass and become the top. Who pays the most taxes because the bottom 50% don't pay shit and many take and don't give dime. I hate the steal from Peter to pay Paul.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 14, 2013 at 8:16 AM
Yes, but facts are facts, just what I quoted and that is average.

Quoting BrighteyedAsh:

1) Not everyone who makes it has a degree.

2) Not everyone who has a degree makes it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Doesn't make them less worthy??? Like they should all have their salary cut?? No. A person with a GED or droppped out of HS is not gonna make what a doctor makes who went to college for 10 years. A person with a degree makes over a lifetime a million more than someone with a hs diploma.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Nope, $250,000, does not qualify as the top 1%, nationally -- maybe locally depending on the state where you live.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/10/30/nyregion/where-the-one-percent-fit-in-the-hierarchy-of-income.html?_r=0

http://www.forbes.com/sites/moneywisewomen/2012/03/21/average-america-vs-the-one-percent/

"Before you can talk about the 1 percent, it’s important to put the figures into perspective by understanding exactly what that figure means. The average annual income of the top 1 percent of the population is $717,000, compared to the average income of the rest of the population, which is around $51,000. The real disparity between the classes isn’t in income, however, but in net value: The 1 percent are worth about $8.4 million, or 70 times the worth of the lower classes."

"The 1 percent are executives, doctors, lawyers and politicians, among other things. Within this group of people is an even smaller and wealthier subset of people, 1 percent of the top, or .01 percent of the entire nation. Those people have incomes of over $27 million, or roughly 540 times the national average income. Altogether, the top 1 percent control 43 percent of the wealth in the nation; the next 4 percent control an additional 29 percent."

Pretty eye opening, huh?
Quoting Anonymous:

I read on websites $250,000 and higher. You can say what you want. We have a friend who makes more than a million a year and busts his butt working. It is people like you who do not really know. Yes, some do not work. Many do.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

The top one percent is defined as having a minimum income of $516,633 in 2010, there are higher incomes than that and they life a different lifestyle and actually do "all the crap mentioned".  They don't work 7 days a week and do live the life of leisure.  Comments?

Quoting Anonymous:

Dh works his ass off and we are in the top 1% and yes we pay 45%. Trying to tell you that you do not know what you are talking about. You need to research more. Dh does not golf ever. Works 7 days a week. Does not work for himself and does not attend all the crap you mentioned.

Quoting Anonymous:

You pay 45% of your income to the government....

AND YOU'RE DEFENDING THE TOP 1%????

One of us missed something.

Quoting Anonymous:

We pay 45% in total taxes. I'll just leave it at that. Always owe at tax time.

Quoting Anonymous:

Apparently, I was unclear.  What I was getting at was looking at the top 1%, not the top 25% or who pays the most taxes.

Are you in the top 1%?

Quoting Anonymous:

Who cares how the top 25% pays taxes. They pay nearly all the taxes.

Quoting Anonymous:

I have done research.  The top 25% may pay 85% of taxes, but how does that break down according to percentage of wealth and how does that breakdown look over the entire top 25%?  So the point I mentioned is above the 25% mark, so what?

Quoting Anonymous:

Do research. The top 25% pays 85% of taxes.

Quoting Anonymous:

1. Yeah, that's a nice thing to say, but I've been working my butt off all my life (as has my DH) and we're no better off than when we started, in fact, we're not even that well off anymore.

2. Who pays the most taxes is NOT the top 1%.  There's a point at which the top X% are paying less than the tens of percentages below them.

3. As I said, I'm a conservative.  I don't agree with stealing from Peter to pay Paul either.
The market isn't free to regulate itself, therefore the rich keep getting richer and the rest just keep getting poorer.  The government has bound up the market in just enough laws and regulations to make it impossible for anyone to GET to the "top".

Quoting Anonymous:

Then get off your ass and become the top. Who pays the most taxes because the bottom 50% don't pay shit and many take and don't give dime. I hate the steal from Peter to pay Paul.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)