Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Your kid's not bright/creative without this? ...

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:50 AM
  • 23 Replies

Mobile Photo

The last sentence, small bottom paragraph is what I wanted y'all to see. I took this screen shot of my monthly Pampers email that I honestly should've deleted months ago anyway. It doesn't have ONE useful piece of reading in it like my weekly BBC emails ALWAYs do.

So do you what theyre claiming is true? Because my sons never had a security object beside his paci which he gave up around 10 months without any prompting whatsoever from his parents, just didnt care about it anymore. He's got tons of stuffed animals, some since birth, and same with all his blankets, some are as old as him. Yet he's never formed an attachment with a specific one. We ask him to pick one before bed and he does sometimes but it's never the same one twice and once were in bed he forgets its there (we co sleep). His pedi AND the early interventionist said that its fine, some kids don't ever have one...

My brother and I both had like a group of 3 objects we held near n dear to our hearts forEVER. Even when we stopped sleeping with them we still kept them in our rooms on a shelf over looking us. My DF had a blankie til he was 12! Guess I just wanna make sure none of you ladies believe what Pampers is claiming: that a kid without a security object is less creative and less bright.

Edit** took out pointless jargon that made it too long like my posts usually are.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
poshkat
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:38 AM
Maybe. Ds has a lovey and he's very bright. I have a lovey too. I don't think it makes a difference if you do or don't. Some kids have comfort objects and imaginary friends to deal with situations they don't understand and it makes them feel safe.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:38 AM
1 mom liked this
My dd is 19 and still sleeps with her baby blanket at college as a pillow. Yep, she is smart, lol.
marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this
You are his security blanket since you choose to let him sleep with you.

And all but one of mine has a lovey or a special object or had imaginary friends growing up. My 4 year old is the one who doesn't. It's because he sleeps with his dog every night and at nap time. So the dog is his security.

All the child are extremely bright and a head of most their peers. They also do great during alone time. My now 17 year old graduates high school at 16 and was excepted by just about all the schools on the eastern sea board. But do I think that's because he had a blanket, a paci and two imaginary friends? I don't think so.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thatgirl70
by Carin on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:34 AM
2 moms liked this

Yeah mine never had a security object either and he's pretty smart. Sometimes he will take something to bed with him but it's never the same thing. Heck, the other night he took a Spiderman Easter egg with a ball inside of it to bed. It's completely irrelevent.

SWasson
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 2:21 PM

OP, are you really giving more weight to a blurb by a marketing intern (which you should note has the qualifier "tend to be" in it) than the assessment of an experienced pediatrician? 

Ultra_
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 2:32 PM

You want to make sure that we don't think your son is dumb because he didn't have a lovey?

Rhodin
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I think the important question is: Did Albert Einstein have a lovey?

hotrockermama
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this

my daughter has never formed a special attachment with any one specific object, which makes things super easy when i need to get rid of old broken things

Uzma_mom_of_2
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 6:27 AM

Yes both my kids did/do. MY son had this blue blanket he named Gree. WEnt with him everywhere and he couldn't sleep without it. Then one day he just stopped.

My daughter currelty has this beanie kitty cat she adores and can't sleep without.

xxshelbyxxx
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 7:32 AM
And clearly your daughter isn't dumb right?

Quoting hotrockermama:

my daughter has never formed a special attachment with any one specific object, which makes things super easy when i need to get rid of old broken things

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)