Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Should businesses be allowed to deny service to gays?

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:12 AM
  • 189 Replies

Last month, a florist in Washington refused to sell flowers that would be used for a gay wedding - saying it was against their relationship with Jesus Christ.

In Oregon, a bakery refused to make a lesbian couple a wedding cake - saying they don't serve same-sex marriages.

Do you think it's ok for these businesses to refuse service to someone because they're gay?

http://gma.yahoo.com/florist-refused-flowers-gay-wedding-sued-154420094--abc-news-topstories.html

by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jomami
by Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:14 AM
3 moms liked this

I think they should mind their own business! Those businesses should be put out of business.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:21 AM
2 moms liked this
It is not right, but a business is private. Businesses can kick people out.
jomami
by Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:25 AM
3 moms liked this

A business can't refuse service to someone because of their skin color or because they are a women.  Why should they have the right to refuse service to someone who is gay?

Quoting Anonymous:

luv.my.kids.365
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:29 AM
5 moms liked this

Technically, a business "Reserves the Right to Refuse Service to Anyone". However, with that said, if a business chooses to refuse service, they better have a damn good reason, because the fallback could be detrimental to said business. But that is their choice to make.

Quoting jomami:

A business can't refuse service to someone because of their skin color or because they are a women.  Why should they have the right to refuse service to someone who is gay?

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:31 AM
6 moms liked this

As a business they can choose who they want to service and as Christians they're doing what they believe in.

CherrieFaeries
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this

As a business they have the right to refuse to serve anyone they want good reason or not. I think it's wrong to turn people away because of sexual orientation, but then again I'm open minded.

kysmama08
by Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:58 AM
5 moms liked this

I think it's bs and shouldn't matter wth your orientation, religion or color of your car is. People are waaaay to fast to judge. Those people that denied them service will need something in the future and be screwed...karma is a b.

Barabell
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:01 AM

The article states that in Washington it violates consumer protection laws, so it could be against the law for businesses to discriminate like this in certain states.

Quoting luv.my.kids.365:

Technically, a business "Reserves the Right to Refuse Service to Anyone". However, with that said, if a business chooses to refuse service, they better have a damn good reason, because the fallback could be detrimental to said business. But that is their choice to make.

Quoting jomami:

Quoting Anonymous:

Shopsha0911
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:03 AM
5 moms liked this

This is a horrible practice and needs to stop. Business owners should not be able to refuse service unless someone is drunk or obnoxious. If you feel you can't work with someone based on your religious beliefs that is a very sad religion. I thought religion was about acceptance and doing no harm to others. Very narrrow minded.  

nodramamama311
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:04 AM
3 moms liked this
Unfortunately there will always be assholes in this world who think they know whats right and wrong because they read some book.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)