Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Disgusting habit? Why okay this? *pics*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 104 Replies

Mobile Photo

Luckily I don't have a thumb sucker and my 20 month old gave up the paci all on his own around 10 months. But if he HAD decided to pick up this gross habit, I would've stopped it before it became an addiction. It grosses me out to see kids 3,4,5 and older walking around in stores sucking away at their thumb. I always wonder how in the hell those parents aren't embarassed OR at least only allowing it at home.

Nowadays everyone's trying to debunk the FACTs about the damage caused to kids teeth by thumb sucking, saying it won't harm them til after age 6. Google image search "thumb sucking" and SEE the bad teeth for yourselves! I don't know why but seeing kids, even toddlers, with their entire thumb down their throat grosses me out. It's not cute, its annoying and looks weird. Experts say don't punish your kid because its a self soothing thing, but I honestly believe if my kid were sucking their thumb day in and day out, and nothing was working to make them stop, I'd use some sort of punishment.

Just like for any other bad habit. Picking your fingernails, coughing without covering your mouth, burping without saying excuse me, feet on the table etc. when you say "don't do that" over and over and your kids are clearly able to grasp what you're telling them NOT to do and they don't LISTEN, you take a toy away. You make an earlier bedtime. You say no friends over. No dessert. Whatever! Just make them stop! You're the parent!
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Mobile Photo

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Mobile Photo

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Mobile Photo

MamaScho88
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:55 AM
6 moms liked this

Do you feel better now that you got all that out of your system?

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:56 AM
4 moms liked this

You would punish your child for having a psychological need?

teachermom9598
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:56 AM
6 moms liked this

actually my son had dental problems similiar to these and he didn't suck his thumb...and the binky was gone by 15 months, he has a small mouth and his teeth are crowded.... we are the second stage of braces to fix it...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:57 AM
My brother sucked his thumb all the time, and his teeth are perfect, I never used a pacifier or sicked my thumb and my teeth were all jacked up (had braces to fix them).
lilbit53009
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:59 AM
2 moms liked this

i don't see "completely messed up teeth" i see kids with bad teeth. whos to say their teeth wouldn't have been bad if they didn't suck their tumbs?

i didn't suck my thumb and my teeth were horrible as a child. i had head gear, braces and a retainer.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:09 AM

There goes breakfast!

MamaScho88
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Same here, my daughter never sucked her thumb and stopped having a bottle and pacifier at 12 months, but has had dental problems her whole life, she's 8 now and her front teeth look like this because her mouth is tiny and her adult teeth are pretty big, she's going to be getting braces when she loses all of her baby teeth and her mouth is bigger...

Quoting teachermom9598:

actually my son had dental problems similiar to these and he didn't suck his thumb...and the binky was gone by 15 months, he has a small mouth and his teeth are crowded.... we are the second stage of braces to fix it...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)