Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Cashiers and customers are NOT your babysitters!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 304 Replies
21 moms liked this

What it is about the grocery store checkout that makes some parents just give up correcting their kids? The cashier is NOT a babysitter and letting your child pick things up doesn't help her do her job, especially if they insist on scanning them on their own and you just stand there blinking at the cashier. It's NOT her fault if something gets rung up twice because you thought your kid was SO CUTE trying to "help" the cashier. It's not cute. It's f'n annoying to the cashier and to all the customers waiting in line behind you. It's also not cute when your child screams and flails around on the floor because you wouldn't buy him that candybar. And don't expect the cashier and other patrons to watch them so you can zone out or browse tabloids.

Seriously, wth?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 12, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 12, 2013 at 8:58 AM
6 moms liked this
This same rant was posted a few days ago.
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Apr. 12, 2013 at 8:58 AM
2 moms liked this

Nope I'm not that parent at all.

jessi2girls
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 9:04 AM
2 moms liked this

not that mom. 

PerfectVirgo
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 9:07 AM
7 moms liked this
I let my kids scan things in the self checkout. I only use a cashier when my carts full, and I usually let my kids go sit on the bench. I try really hard to make everyone's life easier, including my own. Ill check out, kids- go look through the redbox.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
armyvet06
by Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 9:15 AM
8 moms liked this
I'm not that mom. My child knows how to behave in the store and knows that she does not get something just because she asked for it. If she does act up, I punish her on the spot.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
nurse1997
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 9:33 AM
2 moms liked this

Im with you it drives me crazy with brats at the store that act out of control for that candy bar or etc .I hardly ever had that problem with my kids they knew not to pull that crap some kids need some manners and parnets with some brains that can control their own children ;]  !!! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 12, 2013 at 9:38 AM
50 moms liked this

Sometimes kids are kids and moms are doing the best they can...

Sometimes kids have special needs that you can't see like autism or adhd...

Sometimes there is a situation you might not be aware of...

Let me give you this story from the book "7 habits of highly effective people" by stephen covey:

Quote:

I remember one Sunday morning, on a subway in New York; people were sitting quietly- some reading, some lost in thought, some resting or sleeping- Then suddenly, a man and his children entered the subway car.

The children were so loud that instantly, the whole climate changed. The man sat down next to me and closed hi eyes, apparently neglecting the situation.

The children were yelling back and forth, throwing things, it was very disturbing and yet the man sitting next to me did nothing.

I could not believe that he could be so insensitive as to leave his children like that and doing nothing about it.

So finally, with unusual patience, I turned to him and said, “Sir, your children are really disturbing a lot of people. I wonder if you couldn’t control them a little more.”

The man lifted his gaze as if to come to consciousness of the situation for the first time and said softly, “Oh, you’re right, I guess I should do something about it, we just came from the hospital where their mother died about an hour ago. I don’t know what to do, and I guess they don’t know how to handle it either.

HaileysMom07180
by Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 9:40 AM

oh sounds like my last shopping trip, only dd ended up grounded, i was so embarrased, shes 6 and should not have been behaving that way

AngeLnChainZ
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 9:41 AM
2 moms liked this

and then you have people who just have straight up brats who can't or refuse to correct their kids ...

Quoting Anonymous:

Sometimes kids are kids and moms are doing the best they can...

Sometimes kids have special needs that you can't see like autism or adhd...

Sometimes there is a situation you might not be aware of...

Let me give you this story from the book "7 habits of highly effective people" by stephen covey:

Quote:

I remember one Sunday morning, on a subway in New York; people were sitting quietly- some reading, some lost in thought, some resting or sleeping- Then suddenly, a man and his children entered the subway car.

The children were so loud that instantly, the whole climate changed. The man sat down next to me and closed hi eyes, apparently neglecting the situation.

The children were yelling back and forth, throwing things, it was very disturbing and yet the man sitting next to me did nothing.

I could not believe that he could be so insensitive as to leave his children like that and doing nothing about it.

So finally, with unusual patience, I turned to him and said, “Sir, your children are really disturbing a lot of people. I wonder if you couldn’t control them a little more.”

The man lifted his gaze as if to come to consciousness of the situation for the first time and said softly, “Oh, you’re right, I guess I should do something about it, we just came from the hospital where their mother died about an hour ago. I don’t know what to do, and I guess they don’t know how to handle it either.

my4kids274
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Wasn't there a similiar post a few days ago like this? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN