Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Cashiers and customers are NOT your babysitters!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

What it is about the grocery store checkout that makes some parents just give up correcting their kids? The cashier is NOT a babysitter and letting your child pick things up doesn't help her do her job, especially if they insist on scanning them on their own and you just stand there blinking at the cashier. It's NOT her fault if something gets rung up twice because you thought your kid was SO CUTE trying to "help" the cashier. It's not cute. It's f'n annoying to the cashier and to all the customers waiting in line behind you. It's also not cute when your child screams and flails around on the floor because you wouldn't buy him that candybar. And don't expect the cashier and other patrons to watch them so you can zone out or browse tabloids.

Seriously, wth?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 12, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Apr. 12, 2013 at 11:02 AM
7 moms liked this

You know what, we have been parenting... we have been parenting since we walked in that store.  Actually, probably even beforehand when our 7 or 8 yo is arguing with us that they need a cart to sit in; or the 3 times we had to take a potty break because we are trying to potty-train our 3 yo because they "might have to pee" and you really don't want them peeing on the floor in front of the deli (been there, done that - thanks...); or waiting for the prescription to be ready that was only suppose to take 20 minutes to fill, and we have been waiting close to 45 minutes trying to entertain a 2 yo and a 7 yo in the pharmacy area; or having your 2 yo in a the front of a car cart (and while you are trying to quickly unload your groceries) they grab a Twix bar and start eating it wrapper and all.... 

Trust me, most of us don't want to be "that mom" either.... But, as any one who is a mom to a child who isn't always a "perfect angel" will attest to; eventually you WILL be that mom.

Quoting Anonymous:

Children do not need to disrupt and make the cashiers job a nightmare. Parents need to parent.

Quoting MOMMYSLOVE13:

Sounds like you need a career change. That is all part of working with the public, they are going to do things their ways, not yours. It is not something to be annoyed with just ignore it or be upset. It is not worth it :/ 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Apr. 12, 2013 at 11:03 AM
2 moms liked this

Again, my kids do behave. They just talk too much and too loud.

And, also again, you're welcome to call my ex and tell him to pay his child support so I can afford the luxury of a babysitter while I go shopping.

Maybe you should stop making suggestions when you don't have the first fucking clue what my life is like.

Quoting Anonymous:

That's not my issue. I would not let my kids interfer with cashiers jobs. Get a sitter if your kids can't behave.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well, you're welcome to call my ex-husband and try to make him be a dad. But I've been trying for a decade, and it hasn't worked yet, so I doubt you'll have more success.

Quoting Anonymous:

They got left with dad some.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Apr. 12, 2013 at 11:04 AM
I would never take 4 kids to the store. Never.

Quoting Anonymous:

You know what, we have been parenting... we have been parenting since we walked in that store.  Actually, probably even beforehand when our 7 or 8 yo is arguing with us that they need a cart to sit in; or the 3 times we had to take a potty break because we are trying to potty-train our 3 yo because they "might have to pee" and you really don't want them peeing on the floor in front of the deli (been there, done that - thanks...); or waiting for the prescription to be ready that was only suppose to take 20 minutes to fill, and we have been waiting close to 45 minutes trying to entertain a 2 yo and a 7 yo in the pharmacy area; or having your 2 yo in a the front of a car cart (and while you are trying to quickly unload your groceries) they grab a Twix bar and start eating it wrapper and all.... 

Trust me, most of us don't want to be "that mom" either.... But, as any one who is a mom to a child who isn't always a "perfect angel" will attest to; eventually you WILL be that mom.

Quoting Anonymous:

Children do not need to disrupt and make the cashiers job a nightmare. Parents need to parent.

Quoting MOMMYSLOVE13:

Sounds like you need a career change. That is all part of working with the public, they are going to do things their ways, not yours. It is not something to be annoyed with just ignore it or be upset. It is not worth it :/ 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Apr. 12, 2013 at 11:04 AM
2 moms liked this

I get really tired of hearing the special needs excuse. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Sometimes kids are kids and moms are doing the best they can...

Sometimes kids have special needs that you can't see like autism or adhd...

Sometimes there is a situation you might not be aware of...

Let me give you this story from the book "7 habits of highly effective people" by stephen covey:

Quote:

I remember one Sunday morning, on a subway in New York; people were sitting quietly- some reading, some lost in thought, some resting or sleeping- Then suddenly, a man and his children entered the subway car.

The children were so loud that instantly, the whole climate changed. The man sat down next to me and closed hi eyes, apparently neglecting the situation.

The children were yelling back and forth, throwing things, it was very disturbing and yet the man sitting next to me did nothing.

I could not believe that he could be so insensitive as to leave his children like that and doing nothing about it.

So finally, with unusual patience, I turned to him and said, “Sir, your children are really disturbing a lot of people. I wonder if you couldn’t control them a little more.”

The man lifted his gaze as if to come to consciousness of the situation for the first time and said softly, “Oh, you’re right, I guess I should do something about it, we just came from the hospital where their mother died about an hour ago. I don’t know what to do, and I guess they don’t know how to handle it either.

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Apr. 12, 2013 at 11:06 AM
And it's not anyone else's fault that said kids have special needs, still not an excuse. Why make everyone else suffer?

Quoting Anonymous:

Let me give you this story from the book "7 habits of highly effective people" by stephen covey:

Quote:

I remember one Sunday morning, on a subway in New York; people were sitting quietly- some reading, some lost in thought, some resting or sleeping- Then suddenly, a man and his children entered the subway car.

The children were so loud that instantly, the whole climate changed. The man sat down next to me and closed hi eyes, apparently neglecting the situation.

The children were yelling back and forth, throwing things, it was very disturbing and yet the man sitting next to me did nothing.

I could not believe that he could be so insensitive as to leave his children like that and doing nothing about it.

So finally, with unusual patience, I turned to him and said, “Sir, your children are really disturbing a lot of people. I wonder if you couldn’t control them a little more.”

The man lifted his gaze as if to come to consciousness of the situation for the first time and said softly, “Oh, you’re right, I guess I should do something about it, we just came from the hospital where their mother died about an hour ago. I don’t know what to do, and I guess they don’t know how to handle it either.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sarahmetz
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this

exactly. I'm not making up excuses for my kid or anything by all means but my kid is autistic and thats why he has his melt downs and the usual tantrum. what is normal for me or some people in simulare situations may be bad parenting or bad kids or whatever to another parent. not everyone know someone else's issues with parents and there kids. and when the parent happens to "zone out" or "focus on tabloids" that may just be there way of taking a break with out snaping or hurting the kids or smaking there kid in a disiplenary way and making a sene. there are a lot of people that are cps calling happy people out there that will do that in a heart beat. so that might be there way of coping with there kids that are acting up. I've ignoratly done it myself but I've learned to redirect and control the situations in the store so that im a happy shopper and my kid is a happy camper in the store and the customers are happy too. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quote:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Apr. 12, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Never is an awfully long time.... most people would not choose to take 4 kids to the store -- and I don't have four kids either.  I have just 2...

But, one day, my DS had an emergency dr appointment due to a high fever that would not break.  He wound up getting a script that needed to be started ASAP... that day I happened to have him, my daughter, and my nephews in my care.  So, the dr office called in the script and put a rush on it, and then the 5 of us went to pick it up.  DH was out of town for work, both grandparents were working, sister and b-in-l out of town. 

You know what, sometimes life happens.... What else would you have done?

Quoting Anonymous:

I would never take 4 kids to the store. Never.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MOMMYSLOVE13:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Apr. 12, 2013 at 11:11 AM
We are not talking meltdowns. We are talking parents allowing kids to mess with the cashiers job, scanning etc.

Quoting sarahmetz:

exactly. I'm not making up excuses for my kid or anything by all means but my kid is autistic and thats why he has his melt downs and the usual tantrum. what is normal for me or some people in simulare situations may be bad parenting or bad kids or whatever to another parent. not everyone know someone else's issues with parents and there kids. and when the parent happens to "zone out" or "focus on tabloids" that may just be there way of taking a break with out snaping or hurting the kids or smaking there kid in a disiplenary way and making a sene. there are a lot of people that are cps calling happy people out there that will do that in a heart beat. so that might be there way of coping with there kids that are acting up. I've ignoratly done it myself but I've learned to redirect and control the situations in the store so that im a happy shopper and my kid is a happy camper in the store and the customers are happy too. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quote:

twinstartermom
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Not me. I'll let 'em put it on the conver belt but not scan 'em.

grannie_kel
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I agree, if your children cannot behave and you haven't developed the skills for disciplining them, leave them at home.  I also am tired of the stories like the the one below that are made up for sympathy.  First of all, I highly doubt that kids that just lost their mother would be yelling and throwing things and second, if they do, you can bet that they are brats all the time.  These stories are made up for the shock factor to get people to feel guilty. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I get really tired of hearing the special needs excuse. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quote:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN