Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Cashiers and customers are NOT your babysitters!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

What it is about the grocery store checkout that makes some parents just give up correcting their kids? The cashier is NOT a babysitter and letting your child pick things up doesn't help her do her job, especially if they insist on scanning them on their own and you just stand there blinking at the cashier. It's NOT her fault if something gets rung up twice because you thought your kid was SO CUTE trying to "help" the cashier. It's not cute. It's f'n annoying to the cashier and to all the customers waiting in line behind you. It's also not cute when your child screams and flails around on the floor because you wouldn't buy him that candybar. And don't expect the cashier and other patrons to watch them so you can zone out or browse tabloids.

Seriously, wth?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 12, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Replies (181-190):
AnnieGoolaheey
by Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 7:25 PM
3 moms liked this

As a cashier I and a mother, totally disagree with this post.when I get flustered mom with a tired cranky toddler, I sympathize because I've been there. I've never had a parent come through my line wanting me to allow their child to help me other than bag. And, if a kid is cranky, I give them a sticker, I they're being good, they get a sticker. I love people and I like my job.

Gynx6188
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 7:26 PM
Clearly you've never been a cashier. I had an old mean ass man call and complain because i gave him the wrong change, I gave him to Much Change back, like 75c more than what was supposed to be given. As a cashier its your JOB to Smile and be polite and happy regardless of how you feel on the inside. I can tell you i fucking HATE going to women cashiers who act like they have a damn chip on their shoulder. Being a cashier isn't easy, but you're dealing with the public and should NEVER EVER EVER tell a parent, oh im in a hurry cant you see that? I dont have time for Your Kid to be loading the belt or trying to scan items". No you grin and bear it and remain polite and calm. Then when theyre gone bitch like hell on your lunch break or smoke break but you NEVER do what You proposed. That's not how your employers want you to act and if someone calls and complains about that, then you're out of a job. Some people should never be cashiers because they stand their like #1 their job is sooooooooooooo hard they just want to die(which yes its difficult but not as hard as some make it out to be) and #2 you get some women cashiers who will actually be a complete snob, not smile or look at you and then blows you off when You're the one who says "Have a nice day". But like i said, some people, certain women in general, should NEVER work as a cashier. Period.

Quoting gilbertgrl627:

If you don't want a kid to help hand you stuff, or even scan stuff, then say something. Don't stand there like an idiot, smiling, and pretending it's ok when inside you're fuming. Seriously.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
xixCandyxix
by Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 7:27 PM

You know, I was a cashier (this is was my first job 11 years ago at 16) and got FIRED because I waited until the end of an order to start bagging since you're timed and they don't like you to cheat and "pause" the register, you get penalized for that, too. The order was small enough that it could all collect at the counter at the other end of the conveyor belt. Nope the lady bitched about it and there went my job.

Quoting MomofHDFandNWF:

This is typically me as well -- they are either sitting on the bench or looking at Redbox.  Now, at the grocery store that actually has a separate place for the cashier and the bagger, my DD (7) likes to bag the groceries, and enough of the cashiers and/or baggers "allow" her to help; or if they are short-handed, I bag my groceries myself and let her help.

What irks me is the customers who stand there and refuse to bag their own groceries... if there isn't a bagger, go bag your own groceries so you can finish up quicker and may way for the rest of us to check-out.

Quoting PerfectVirgo:

I let my kids scan things in the self checkout. I only use a cashier when my carts full, and I usually let my kids go sit on the bench. I try really hard to make everyone's life easier, including my own. Ill check out, kids- go look through the redbox.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 12, 2013 at 7:31 PM
2 moms liked this
I've never heard or seen of this happening, how in the heck would a child be able to do that? The scanner and everything else is behind a counter in those lines. As far as the mad kid about not getting a candy bar, I'm sure it's happened to more then one mom...... It happens they are kids. As long as your handling the situation it shouldn't be a problem to anyone else. Unless people of the world do not realize that kids will be kids and do this once in a while. But yet there are a lot of insensitive people out there that like to complain, maybe do not like other kids, or do not have any of their own and can't relate.
ssjoseph2
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 7:32 PM
I work as a cashier and its annoying to me when parents do this. I'm here to scan and bag your items. If you wanted your child to do it go to the self check out and let me do my job.i hate when parents do that. i don't let my children do it so i don't expect your children to.
cnoelc
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 8:11 PM
2 moms liked this

It makes me sad that there are always so many posts by moms berating other moms.  I certainly don't mean to imply that I never get frustrated with other parents at times, but I always hope that if I can give other parents a break they may pay me the same respect.  I also agree with the posters that point out that we don't know the full story of everyone we pass at the grocery store.  

TishHughes
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

This same rant was posted a few days ago.

LOL, I thought I was seeing things...or something.

EthanzMom915
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Lighten up for pete sake. I have a 2 and  a half year old and I have to be helicoptor mom in line, pay and get my groceries to the car. GUESS what I don't have complete control over when he melts down, so why not quit with your meltdown here and be a little more compassionate becuase I have actually forgotten my groceries as a result of trying to manage everything you describe and GUESS what the customers behind me were NICE and UNDERSTANDING. 

TheMaskedMommy
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Your lack of sympathy on the "candy bar melt down" really shows your inexperience as a mother. Your child(ren) are 1 of 4 things 1) (the most likely of the 4) under the age of 1 2) never taken to the store 3)you are a step parent who was not around in the early years or 4)were taken away by the state before you had a chance to teach them your hateful judgmental ways.
ericndaimonsmom
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 8:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I think people veiw me as "THAT mom". Unfortunately, what folks don't understand is that my two year old has special needs. Where they see a screaming brat, kicking and wailing and crying, I see my son behaving as is normal for him. But other people don't get that. I get dirty looks, glares, and at times even rude comments from other moms about how my son is a spoiled brat, that I am a terrible mother for allowing my child to behave in such a manner, and that I need to controll my son's behavior. But it isn't like that at all. I think perhaps there are some instances where the parent is just doing the best they can, and keeping their chin up against rudeness because their child happens to be different and misunderstood.
Are there spoiled brat kids out there? Oh, sure. Are there parents out there that allow their kids to be obnoxious and bratty in public? Absolutely. But not EVERY case can be chalked up to poor behavior or poor parenting. Just food for thought! :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)