Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Would you let your 8yo fly cross-country alone?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 92 Replies

My 18yo is at college (he lives in an off-campus apartment) and asked about my 8yo flying out to visit during his semester break since he lives near a big amusement park. Would you let your 8yo fly alone to meet your teen and stay with your teen for a weekend/week?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 15, 2013 at 8:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 8:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Not me. No.

However, I don't think that would be horrible for you to do, just not something I would be comfortable with. 8 is too young to be flying alone.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 15, 2013 at 8:39 AM
4 moms liked this

You can request a child flying attendant for your child...you can pay extra for it, & it must be arranged in-advance (I believe).  Most airlines offer this kind of service.  Your 18 yo, is he mature enough to handle his sibling, once in his care? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 15, 2013 at 8:52 AM
2 moms liked this
8 yo at college? Um, no. 8 yo flying alone, no.
ilovemyboys84
by Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 8:53 AM
This

Quoting Anonymous:

You can request a child flying attendant for your child...you can pay extra for it, & it must be arranged in-advance (I believe).  Most airlines offer this kind of service.  Your 18 yo, is he mature enough to handle his sibling, once in his care? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gammie
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 10:00 AM

NO!!!!!!!

gammie
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 10:02 AM

The problem has been that the attendants don't show up!

You protect your child and don't pay a stranger to do it.

Quoting ilovemyboys84:

This

Quoting Anonymous:

mommy_2_be_2010
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Can you pay for soneone you know's ticket to make sure he gets to your ods safely?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kitty8199
by Nicole on Apr. 15, 2013 at 10:08 AM
No. I wouldn't. Airports are hell especially large ones. Even for me. Turbulence makes me nervous. Couldn't imagine a child alone
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ilovemyboys84
by Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 10:13 AM
We never had a problem.with this when I was younger. Id also make sure they were there before I sent them on the plane.

Quoting gammie:

Quoting ilovemyboys84:

This

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gammie
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

When there is a change of air plans this is when things happen, like it did a few weeks ago with a child.Every time this has happen it always the same story. I would send my kid non-stop.

Quoting ilovemyboys84:

We never had a problem.with this when I was younger. Id also make sure they were there before I sent them on the plane.

Quoting gammie:

Quoting ilovemyboys84:

This

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)