Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding problems

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 10:25 PM
  • 5 Replies
I am breastfeeding and I was wondering how to throw pumping into the mix because I have to return to work soon. I'm not sure when to do it. I've heard an hour after nursing, directly after nursing, while you're nursing (which is ridiculously impossible) and its all confusing. I'm never engorged so its not like I can take that as a cue to pump. And my son wakes up 1-2 times a night so I can't be waking up to pump either. formula is absolutely not an option.
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 10:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 1:25 AM

well I guess that depends on you really and how much milk you produce.  My girls never latched so I pumped every 2 hours and i did wake at night to pump for their first few months and as they increased their eating periods so did I, so that it was every 3 hours, then every 4 hours as needed.  I also took FENUGREEK to increase my milk production so that I had milk for them even after I returned to work.  i did pump during my breaks at work as well.  Save your sanity and get a double pump though so you can knock them both out in 15 minutes.  Worth the extra money!

oliver92
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 1:42 AM
1 mom liked this

morning is best, and start right away, just kinda play with it and see when you are able to produce the most milk, if you want to ebf and are returning to work, you need to get a supply in freezer so you are not playing catch up and end up without enough milk for day.  If your baby eats often you will probably get small amounts at a time, but just start working with it and find out what works best for you. :)

nicolee0821
by Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 6:54 AM
Thanks! Morning does seem like best place to start because he eats less during the night. I've tried pumping before simply just to try it, and its a major task to get 5oz to fill the bag, lol.

Quoting oliver92:

morning is best, and start right away, just kinda play with it and see when you are able to produce the most milk, if you want to ebf and are returning to work, you need to get a supply in freezer so you are not playing catch up and end up without enough milk for day.  If your baby eats often you will probably get small amounts at a time, but just start working with it and find out what works best for you. :)

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
petie1104
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:02 AM
You need a good pump too. Those little ones don't work well. Also, the more you pump the easier it gets.

Quoting nicolee0821:

Thanks! Morning does seem like best place to start because he eats less during the night. I've tried pumping before simply just to try it, and its a major task to get 5oz to fill the bag, lol.

Quoting oliver92:

muchlovedby4
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 2:24 AM
The CM Breastfeeding group has alot of great info. They've helped me tons, are very understanding and encouraging, and can and WILL back up anything you question with documentation. There are also resident LCs on hand if you need an educated person- tho alot of the mommas have done enough research to probably qualify lol.

You should join us! :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)