Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

7 Things You Have to Stop Doing Once You're a Mom - What's on your list?

Posted by   + Show Post

7 Things You Have to Stop Doing Once You're a Mom

by Adriana Velez

dancing on a table

There are some things you just cannot do once you become a mother. For many women, the line is drawn pretty strict. I'm a little more lenient. You can still dance on the table (a very stable one, after you've cleared the dishes), have a cocktail before dinner, and dress like a slut if you want to, in my book. But even I have my standards.

Here are seven things I think we have to give up when we have kids.

1. Hard drugs: Hopefully you weren't doing heroin before you had kids. But just in case: It's time to get off the horse. Get it out of your system before the babies come. Like, all the way out of your system.
  2. YOLO: You don't get to use this phrase to do crazy shit anymore. You only live once, but that one life now comes with responsibility. Live for tomorrow, too.
  3. Neglecting your health: Your kid needs you to be your best self. It's not just so you can parent at your highest capacity. It's also because they need you to model healthy habits.
  4. Gossiping: Go ahead and talk smack about the Real Housewives. But when it comes to real people, especially people your kids know, it's time to exercise some self control. People disappoint us, and it's okay to say so. But I don't think it's right to just carelessly slag off on people in front of your kids.
  5. Any activity that could be classified as a felony: Try really hard not get land your ass in jail. Who will take care of your kids, then?
  6. Picking up guys at bars and bringing them home: If you're single, keep the sexy times far away for your kids. No one wants to see a strange man in Mommy's bathrobe at breakfast. Oh -- I guess this goes for married women, too. Husbands hate it when you bring home someone else to sleep with. Ehrm, usually.
  7. Eating ice cream for dinner. Steam some broccoli and boil some pasta. We all have bad nights, but try.

What do you think people have to stop doing once they become parents?

by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:33 PM
Replies (21-30):
Bookoholic
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 5:41 PM
I used to do the same, but I can't read because Ds is so busy

Quoting Ninjakitty604:

i use to be able to read a book for about 4 to 6 hours if i wanted to. I cant even do 10 mins, even after she is asleep. Always to tired now.

Quoting Bookoholic:

Read a book for more then 20 minutes.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Crazylife1994
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 5:51 PM

I guess I missed that memo! We still have sex on the kitchen counter. 

Quoting ChocolateJunky:

Having sex on the kitchen counter. That's a big no-no. 

Crazylife1994
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Being selfish sometimes is a good thing.

Partying isn't bad on occasion as long as you have a babysitter.

I don't sleep so this doesn't count for me.

Depends on the moderation

I have improved.

After 19 yrs it happens.

Agreed

Quoting MixedCooke:

1) being selfish

2) partying

3) staying up late since they wake at the crack of dawn until they hit the pre-teen years

4) not doing things in moderation

5) using profanity

6) getting into heated arguments

7) doing anything that may jeopardize your job

Cutenessmom
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Your basics our a given. No drug using  should of not doe it any way.  No drinking ot much  acting liek a drunk college person should, be out.  I leftthat scene long time ago.

I guess  wild instant sex     when the kids our young cuz well  after one they get interested i n what your doing !   

No more taking a poop in peace untill they or older and no more  justtaking off for free unless your one of the lucky ones.   I miss the most  is taking off when, i want too.

sarahbsquare
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 6:13 PM

1-having spontanous sex

2-doing crosswords and reading books

3-not being selfish and care for another

4-being able to go to dinner and enjoy it

5- not having a bedtime or a wakeup call

6-watching whatever i want on tv 

7-lack of self care

thecoffeefairy
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:06 PM
I have teenagers, so I can do as I please other than walking about naked.
EachNewBreath
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:08 PM

LOVE THIS!!! Thanks for sharing!

SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Really? I agree with #4 and #7 but the rest of them ... yeah, not so much. Becoming a parent does not mean that you should stop being who you are. It does not mean that you must become stiff and dull. 

Quoting MixedCooke:

1) being selfish 

2) partying

3) staying up late since they wake at the crack of dawn until they hit the pre-teen years

4) not doing things in moderation

5) using profanity

6) getting into heated arguments

7) doing anything that may jeopardize your job

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:42 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't like to put limits on life just because I'm a mom.
nicolee0821
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:54 PM
I'm going to agree that taking a poop alone is something I can't do anymore. LOL

I guess this is childish but I loved going to playgrounds at night and sitting on top of the monkey bars or swinging or just climbing on a roof to look at the stars. I can't do that much anymore!
(I'm 21, so it's not weird.) hahahaha
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN