Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are we symbolised by the ring that we are married?

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:47 AM
  • 52 Replies
"When we wear our wedding rings we are married the moment we put them off we cease to be!" said a friend of mine last week.
What do you say about it?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Perfect.Pixie
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:49 AM
2 moms liked this
I have been married to my childhood sweetheart for 15 years. I don't wear my rings. Still married and in love...
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:51 AM
2 moms liked this
My Dad never had a ring. My parents were married. Dh rarely wears his ring. He hates rings. We have been married 28 years. A ring does not make someone married. Some religions do not allow jewelry. Rings do not mean a thing. You are married in your heart.
Bekki
by New Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 9:36 AM

My dh doesn't have a ring. Jewelry bothers him, plus he works with electricity and doesn't want metal on his finger! Doesn't matter at all!

luvhugz08
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this

your married regardless looks like someone wants loop holes..and in marriage your either married or divorced..even separated your still married its still cheating dating others.. 

cpyrrha
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 10:28 AM
1 mom liked this
and to think of all the money spent on divorce lawyers...
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 10:56 AM

A ring is a very old symbol.

I have an inflammatory disease, sometimes I can't wear my rings. I'm no less a newlywed. I love my rings.

The only time he removes his is when he does electrical work.

Saharra
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:50 AM
2 moms liked this
It is just a symbol. It's supposed to be "never ending" because a circle has no end. Same as a marriage is supposed to be. It's worn just to remind the person wearing it of that :)
But, I've been married 10 yrs now and between swelling from having children, then size changes (you know what having kids does to the body!), and then my band constantly loosing its small diamonds, I don't wear mine. Instead I have a family ring that I like to wear. Hubby can't wear his all the time either because of being a mechanic. If he were to reach into something and get it caught, it could rip off a finger. And I like his fingers enough a ring is not going to change anything. Lol.
Pink.Sunshine.
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I don't have a ring but I can assure you I am legally married.

TraceyMR
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Then I am screwed when I mess with paw meat or work in the garden or go swimming.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 20, 2013 at 1:02 PM

You're friend is taking something that is symbolic too seriously.  I take off my ring to put on lotion, does that mean that I have effectually devorced my husband or annulled our marriage?  Not in my or my husband's eyes.  Also, if DH doesn't take out the trash, according to your friend, can I just take off my ring and find a husband who will?  By the same token, can I just accept a ring from a stranger and be married to him without going through all the marriage lisence, wedding plans, and rig-a-ma-roll?  The answer to all these questions, in my opinion is "no".

I say marriage is simply a commitment.  It is not a piece of paper that says "he is married to her".  It is not a ceremony where we put our rings on each other's fingers and kiss at the end.  It is not something that can be broken or nullified by a piece of paper that says "we are divorced" (which, btw, in my opinion, just means I don't like being married to him/her anymore most of the time).  It is a deep and binding commitment where a man and a woman choose to share their very selves (and everything else) with each other at least for the rest of their lives (as long as they both shall live).  It is not something that requires a ceremony or informing the government; it requires witnesses, loyalty, and, above all else, Love.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)