Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

door passes *piog*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies

Where I live, it is safe for me to send my children outside to play without my having to go outside with them; I stay where I can monitor their behavior and their comings and goings. HOWEVER:

They come in ALL THE TIME!!! I get fed up with them coming in to tattle that this one isn't doing what I told them to do b/c the other one isn't doing what I told them to do, etc, etc. And my three older children complain openly about who's going to watch their little brother.

PS: all the children are mine and DH's, so there's no step- rivalries or favoritism going on. No favoritism anyway, I'm equally pissed with all of them, even the LO has his moments.

Advice, experience, stories, anything and everything welcome.
One exception: I will not dignify with a response replies which incinuate (sp) that letting my children play outside without me is unsafe b/c they are totally safe where we live.

My current remedy is door passes. The older kids get two to use for either bathroom or water; they give them to me upon entering the house. My LO also has two; his are for water and he gets unlimited potty trips.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 20, 2013 at 3:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 20, 2013 at 3:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Ignore the tattling. MIL said dh used to do it. She ignored him, or told him everyone could play outside except him. Door passes seem extreme to me. Kids should be able to come in and out as long as they don't whine and complain.
Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I agree with this. It's one thing to tattle if someone's doing something that's actually wrong or dangerous like playing in the street, but the incessant stuff needs to stop and door passes isn't going to get that to happen.

Quoting Anonymous:

Ignore the tattling. MIL said dh used to do it. She ignored him, or told him everyone could play outside except him. Door passes seem extreme to me. Kids should be able to come in and out as long as they don't whine and complain.

Love Giving Advice? Join Our Advice Squad!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:13 PM

I don't agree that door passes don't work; we've used them before with success (at least at decreasing the constant in-and-out and eliminating some of the nonsense (like tattling).  I don't agree that they're extreme either.

Otherwise, what suggestion do you have? The door passes aren't as successful as I would have liked this time, but they are helping, so I'm inclined to keep going with them until I get a more brilliant idea (mine or someone else's, either way). :-)

Quoting Cafe Steph:

I agree with this. It's one thing to tattle if someone's doing something that's actually wrong or dangerous like playing in the street, but the incessant stuff needs to stop and door passes isn't going to get that to happen.

Quoting Anonymous:

Love Giving Advice? Join Our Advice Squad!

Marimaru
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:51 PM

I'm not to that point yet, but I get where you are coming from with the door pass thing.  I don't think I have a better idea for you, so I guess this is a bump, heh.

We actually let my 3 year old play outside by herself for a little bit for the first time yesterday in the back yard.  We'd check on her and had the windows open so we could hear her playing as well.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:10 PM

We have four and our youngest is three.  It's totally safe for them to all be outside together; where we live, I wouldn't let my youngest outside alone (but that's where we live and I'm sure there are places where I would).  Anyway, it's hard when they're constantly coming in just to involve me in their bickering.

If your 3yo is your first, here's a little uninvited advice: don't let them out-number you!!! lol

Quoting Marimaru:

I'm not to that point yet, but I get where you are coming from with the door pass thing.  I don't think I have a better idea for you, so I guess this is a bump, heh.

We actually let my 3 year old play outside by herself for a little bit for the first time yesterday in the back yard.  We'd check on her and had the windows open so we could hear her playing as well.  

Marimaru
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Oh that's funny, LOL.  We have 2 now, and we're thinking we'll keep it that way :)

Quoting Anonymous:

We have four and our youngest is three.  It's totally safe for them to all be outside together; where we live, I wouldn't let my youngest outside alone (but that's where we live and I'm sure there are places where I would).  Anyway, it's hard when they're constantly coming in just to involve me in their bickering.

If your 3yo is your first, here's a little uninvited advice: don't let them out-number you!!! lol

Quoting Marimaru:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:13 PM

lol ;-)

Quoting Marimaru:

Oh that's funny, LOL.  We have 2 now, and we're thinking we'll keep it that way :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Marimaru:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN