Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When teens get pregnant, who is to blame?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 87 Replies

Poll

Question: When teens get pregnant, who is to blame?

Options:

it is the teens fault.

it is the teens parents fault.

it is the teens and the teens parents fault.

it is the fault of someone/something else (society? school? please explain)

it is no one's fault.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 161

View Results

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mollgirl59
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:20 AM
3 moms liked this

I don't think placing blame will do any good. You have to raise your kids the best you can. Teach them about responsibility and birth control. After that the choice is theirs.

meganliz11
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:25 AM
15 moms liked this

I'm a teen, due in june, so obviously this will be answered from experience. No, it is NOT my parents fault, it's only mine & boyfriends fault. They teach about safe sex in school, a little bit. And I had taken bc before, but for period related reasons. I don't blame anybody for my getting pregnant, that's a choice I made along with it being my choice to keep baby, step up even more and start acting the way a mother should. Boyfriend doesn't blame anybody, he works 4 jobs but he did so before baby was even thought of. I am blessed with a wonderful supportive family and won't be bringing my baby into a family of hate. If somebody's parents didn't teach them about safe sex then that's where the problem is.

GOBryan
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:39 AM
2 moms liked this

I believe one has to see each case separately to make that determination. It depends on their upbringing, sense or morality and mental stability or instability.

Sometimes parents have tried everything to control a wild teen to no avail because they may have a mental condition or just anger or resentfullness.  Other times, parents have just done such a lousy job raising their child that they do whatever they want.

That also seems to be the case with kids who end up in jail, etc. Many times it's a product of their environment, like that of my stepson but some are just kids with anger or mental issues.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this
The blame falls on the teens. Anyone can choose to not have sex at all as a teen. You can't get pregnant if you don't have sex.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:48 AM
1 mom liked this
I was 18 when I got pregnant and it was mine and my husbands fault. I hated that people blamed my parents, I was an adult and able to make my own decisions. I hate that we all still got shit because I was still considered a teen.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Both teen and adult.  Come on!   When my oldest girls were teens, I told them that it was either birth control or they stayed home.   Take some responsibility for your children!

marmie41
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:54 AM
2 moms liked this
What is the point of laying blame and pointing fingers?
LostSoul88
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this

It's both the teen and the parent. Its then teen for beign stupid enoug to not use safe sex or even wait to have sex and it's the parents for not keepign a loswer eye on their teen or teaching htem about safe sex.

My parents never paid attention to me or talked to be about sex. From 14 to 18 I was rarely home. I was off having sex, unprotected sex.  The guy I was with was my bf and we were each others first and together most of the time between 14-18 but I am still lucky I didn' get pregnant. 

I blame myself for being dumb and I also blame my parents for not being stricter and not caring I was rarely home. They knew were I was but didn;t care. 

GertieK
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:54 AM
2 moms liked this

That's a seriously loaded question, and goes so much deeper than just the few choices given.  Any, all and more.... 

Mom2wife1
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:46 PM

It's probably not a good idea to blame anyone or point fingers. I guess parents have to try their hardest to instill knowledge of prevention/ safe sex/ abstinence , but if kids want to have sex they will. I have 2 girls and I'm always thinking about how I will handle speaking to them about sex and hope they will refrain from having sex. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)