Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

When teens get pregnant, who is to blame?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: When teens get pregnant, who is to blame?

Options:

it is the teens fault.

it is the teens parents fault.

it is the teens and the teens parents fault.

it is the fault of someone/something else (society? school? please explain)

it is no one's fault.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 161

View Results

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:16 AM
Replies (81-87):
notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 8:29 AM

OTHER: It's not that easy to say. Each situation is different. Some parents are open and vigilant and teens get pregnant anyways, some don't say anything but the teen should know better, sometimes both are ignorant.

bad_mama2011
by on May. 1, 2013 at 8:34 AM

If the parents didn't teach the teens safe sex, I say they're at least partially to blame.

MsDenuninani
by on May. 1, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Well, it's clearly the teens' fault -- ultimately their bodies are their own responsibility.

The question for us, as parents and as a broader society, is how to help teens be more responsibile. 

We get to help them navigate that world, but ultimately they are the ones who have to make the key decisions.

catstoys4fun
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Ok, well I'm not going to debate you on this....its not worth it but I gave MY OPINION on the subject, which is what this site is for....OPINIONS. Not that this has anything to do with it, but I had 5 pregnancys, two of which unfortunatelly ended in misscarrages, and 3 healthy others, so there was nothing wrong with his little runners, I was just saying there are ways to prevent teens from getting in trouble!! Again ONLY MY OPINION!!

SaraLovesEli29
by on May. 8, 2013 at 11:43 AM
I think it's the teen's fault. They're old enough to know what sex leads to. I am a teen parent. The only one I found at fault for my pregnancy was me and my boyfriend. I was fully aware of what could happen and did it anyways.
ruth85
by on May. 10, 2013 at 12:24 AM

I think we want to believe it is partially the parent fault because that means they did something wrong....which implies that if you do all of the *right* things, then this wont happen.  But sometimes it does.  I have seen parents do all the right things and still the kids make poor or foolish choices.  Yes...there are some things that parents do to contribute to the issue....dads who are absent in their daughters lives, for instance are more likely to have daughters who seek out male approval by engaging in risky sexual behaviors...but the bottom line is that our kids are their own people and no matter how well we mold and shape them, they can still make bad choices.

We want to believe that if we do all of the right things then our kids will come out good and be responsible people who make smart decisions....because the idea that we don't have complete control over what happens and how things turn out is pretty scary. 

IyanaNana
by Member on May. 16, 2013 at 11:53 AM

My daughter gave birth to a little girl at the age of 16. I played the blame game. First, I blamed her. Then I blamed myself. After talking to others and just focusing on the main issue, my granddaughter, I decided that trying to place blame on one particular person or both of us, what we needed to focus on was raising the little girl to the best of our ability.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)