Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Night terrors?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies

I think ds has night terrors, or some variant of it.  He's 5, and it started about 6 weeks ago.  It doesn't happen nightly, but when it does it's about an hour to hour and a half after young to bed.  He comes out of his room crying and mumbles things that make no sense when asked what's wrong,  We get him tucked back in bed and within a min.or 2 is out cold again.  No screaming, though.  I plan to talk to his doc at his well visit in a few weeks, but any thoughts?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:26 AM

They usually occur when there is a transition in their life.  has anything changed such as starting elementary, new teacher, etc.?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 26, 2013 at 2:51 AM

I thought about that.  We had dd in Janurary, so I thought maybe that was at fault so to speak.  I found it strange that they didn't start until she was over 2 months old, though.  The first time he had one, he was sick with the flu.  Is it still considered a night terror if there's no screaming?

Quoting MixedCooke:

They usually occur when there is a transition in their life.  has anything changed such as starting elementary, new teacher, etc.?

MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 2:54 AM

not sure but still a disturbance in his life is the cause more like, so definitely baby sister being born.  Mine it was when she first started pre-school and after her baby sister was born.  It was a few months before she realized that the baby wasnt going anywhere and learned to accept her presence that things got back to normal.

Quoting Anonymous:

I thought about that.  We had dd in Janurary, so I thought maybe that was at fault so to speak.  I found it strange that they didn't start until she was over 2 months old, though.  The first time he had one, he was sick with the flu.  Is it still considered a night terror if there's no screaming?

Quoting MixedCooke:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 26, 2013 at 2:56 AM

Hmm...  He is pretty clear on the fact that she isn't going anywhere, and we've wormed hard to still give him one on one time with everyone,  he loves his baby sis and is super good with her, too.  So it's all just wait and see?  Would therapy help?

Quoting MixedCooke:

not sure but still a disturbance in his life is the cause more like, so definitely baby sister being born.  Mine it was when she first started pre-school and after her baby sister was born.  It was a few months before she realized that the baby wasnt going anywhere and learned to accept her presence that things got back to normal.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MixedCooke:

MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 3:06 AM

therapy is unnecessary at this time because it truly is just a phase.  If you notice it long term, Im talking like a year not a month, then maybe therapy is something to consider but sleep therapy first not necessarily talk therapy.

Try these ideas to help with sleep issue:

1) massage--who wouldnt pass right out after a full body massage

2) white noise to buffer outside sounds such as a fan or soft music

3) lavender lotion/oil helps to soothe sleep

4) drop the temp--we sleep better when we are cooler

Quoting Anonymous:

Hmm...  He is pretty clear on the fact that she isn't going anywhere, and we've wormed hard to still give him one on one time with everyone,  he loves his baby sis and is super good with her, too.  So it's all just wait and see?  Would therapy help?

Quoting MixedCooke:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MixedCooke:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:10 AM

Okay, I'll try it.  He always has a fan on and wakes up teeth chattering when he does, which has been about a handful of times thus far, but I'll give te other ideas a shot.  Thanks!

Quoting MixedCooke:

therapy is unnecessary at this time because it truly is just a phase.  If you notice it long term, Im talking like a year not a month, then maybe therapy is something to consider but sleep therapy first not necessarily talk therapy.

Try these ideas to help with sleep issue:

1) massage--who wouldnt pass right out after a full body massage

2) white noise to buffer outside sounds such as a fan or soft music

3) lavender lotion/oil helps to soothe sleep

4) drop the temp--we sleep better when we are cooler

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MixedCooke:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MixedCooke:

lizard11080
by Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:37 AM

my three year has had a few.  i explained what was going on to the doc and they said that it was night terrors.  he would be 'half awake' screaming his head off for a good hour, but nothing you did would help him calm down.  i would have to just lay near him as he screamed, calmed down and screamed more till he fully woke up. then he would just look at me like he didn't know what had happened and i would rock him back to sleep.  Doc said it can happen if they have had a particularly exhausting day or something out of routine, but for my son, it was totally random, our schedule wasn't out of whack or anything.  thankfully he hasn't had one in a good year (knock on wood!)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:58 PM

He calms within a few minutes, thankfully.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:03 PM

My youngest son had one a couple weeks ago.
I didn't know what was going on. He was crying and I wasn't able to calm him down. He was talking and his eyes were open but he wouldn't calm, no matter what I did or said.
Eventually he stopped and went back to sleep.

Night terrors suck. I'm hoping he doesn't get them again but if he does, at least I'll know what they are.

2pink1blue
by Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:07 PM

My oldest suffers from night terrors and has since she was about 4-4.5.  For her, the night terrors started when she started dropping that afternoon nap and was so tired by bedtime that she fell asleep instantly and did not have enough time to "download" from her day.  She was (and still is) the kind of kid that needs to listen to music, sing to herself and/or read before falling asleep.  On the nights she is extra tired and passes put immediately, she is up 90 minutes later crying (not screaming at all), mumbling and completely out of sorts.  It's fairly easy for me to talk her down, calm her and get her right back to bed.  She has never remembered in the morning.  She is 10.5 years old now and I think it happens once every 2-3 months.  At 4.5 years old it was happening twice a week.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN