Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Do you let you kids go into the fridge whenever they want?

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:48 PM
  • 57 Replies

When I was growing up I was allowed to go into the fridge and get a drink or food. I was taught if I was hungry, then to eat not starve. Obviously if it was close to dinner or something then I would have to wait. But I used to go over to friends and they would have to ask permission to grab something to eat or drink. 

I just thought it was odd..

What do you do in your household?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NDADanceMom
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:08 PM
1 mom liked this
My kids have free access to healthy choices. I do limit beverages because they will down a gallon of milk or juice each per day. They can have 3 glasses of milk per day and one of juice. Our fridge has cold, filtered water that they can have as much as they want! They get one serving of dessert a day and everything in moderation. Fruit snack? Sure. Box of them? No.
sunflower37
by Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:40 PM
2 moms liked this

If they're hungry they can go in and get whatever they like. I always keep the fridge stock with fruits.

SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:01 PM

No ... B (son) was on a restricted diet b/c of his health and he refused to follow it unless we strictly controlled it. 

Sheila27
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I keep a bowl of fruit on the table and healthy snacks such as fruit, yogurt, and low-fat string cheese in the fridge...my kids never have to ask for healthy food. I knew a girl growing up who had to ask for everything, I thought that was so odd.
fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:58 PM

My kids ALWAYS have to ask for food unless it is in their healthy food drawer in the fridge w/fruit, yogurt & cheese.  Water never has to be asked for, Milk always does because as it is we go through 6 gals a wk. 

Saharra
by Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:00 AM
I have set times for food. The only time I allow them to be broken is if someone is sick. Prat of that is because I grew up with diabetes, and that's the way it was for me. I still make sure the healthy choices are in those times too though :) I don't remember every being hungry growing up (and everything was portioned out). My boys are ALWAYS hungry! You clear the table from dinner and they are asking for more. For them, I knew it could lead to bad habits so I tried to stop it and let them know the next food time was coming, we just need to let our food we are settle. (Trust me, they are getting enough!!)
One of my boys would love to just eat fruits and veggies. The other is more friuts, veggies and chocolate :) he would pass up the healthy foods for sweet any day!
Love.Angie
by Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:10 AM
1 mom liked this

They need to ask first. My kids are still young (all under 6) so if they were allowed to help themselves they would be eating all day long....probably take a bite or two and leave it on the counter. When they are allowed, we have a veggie/Fruit/cheese drawer in the fridge, and then a snack basket in the pantry where they can choose what they want. On days that I know I will be busy, I leave a bowl of mixed nuts or pretzels on the table for them to munch.

Once they get older and understand the rules, they will be allowed more freedom over what and when they eat.

marmie41
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 3:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes they can and they can eat or drink anything they want, except the are not allowed to drink the last Coke that's moms. But my kids are 24 and 22 and do not live at home anymore. So Mom loves for her kiddos to raid the fridge. Let's me know they still love my cooking.
LntLckrsCmQut
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:13 AM
Yes , as long as it's healthy.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:15 AM
1 mom liked this
I never had a rule. Growing up I never did either. My girls are skinny adults. I was too till I was 30 and got pregnant.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)