Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

on a cooking strike! UPDATE!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 31 Replies
My dh has an infuriating habit of being very critical about my cooking. He will hover over my shoulder while I cook and tell me what I should be doing differently, then he will usually have some negative comment about what I've cooked. He's even been known to dump his plate of food in the trash and make himself a sandwich. It's not that I'm a bad cook. Nobody I've ever cooked for has ever disliked my cooking except him,(well, my x's sister, but that's another story). Even my kids like my cooking, and believe me they'd say so if they didn't. Dh's tastes just tend to run in the direction of cheap, deep fried, spicy and highly processed, whereas I've made it my mission in life to master healthy gourmet cooking. I usually get raves.

I keep thinking I would just quit cooking for him, but I have to cook for the kids, anyway, so it's not like I'm going to tell him he can't have any. The kids are at their dad's this weekend, though, and dh was making his usual commentary at dinner last night, so I told him I'm not cooking all weekend, and I mean it. Now he's asking me what's for dinner. HA! Whatever you scrounge up, honey, and no, I'm not getting up and
making breakfast tomorrow, (or lunch or dinner)!, either.

UPDATE! This morning dh woke me up, having already made breakfast, himself. The biscuts and bacon were burned, and he used an entire stick of butter to fry two eggs, but unlike him i ate it and thanked him for going to the trouble. Then he asked me later what i was making for lunch and i told him nothing, i'm not cooking this weekend. He says, ''But i cooked breakfast!''i said oh weel, still not cookin. Now he's heated up a frozen pizza for lunch, but i already had a diet shake and a bananna. r.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 27, 2013 at 4:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 27, 2013 at 4:34 PM

thay ll fix him maybe hell have a sandwich

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 27, 2013 at 4:45 PM
He's trying to decide what to cook himself,lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

thay ll fix him maybe hell have a sandwich

MomRocs1102
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 4:50 PM

that would irritate me if you can stand over my shoulder do it yourself.

Join Adorable Ladies Group, where women can have free uncensored conversations, and discussions minus the bashing and drama. 

www.cafemom.com/group/118542

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 27, 2013 at 4:56 PM

If there is one thing I can tell you about the man I live with, is that he is in love with food and becomes very hypocrytical about my cooking..  No matter what, if it wasn't cooked on a grill by HIM then your food sucks/isn't good enough-- but he will eat it anyway, of course ;)  I used to cook all the time and even bake.. I am 32 weeks pregnant so after I clean up the house after the big man and the little man I am exhausted and do not feel like cooking so I started buying boxed food... You know what happened next?  Grilled food almost every night and him cleaning up the kitchen (since he messed it up)  It has been nice :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 27, 2013 at 5:46 PM
Awesome! :-) dh grills sometimes. It's good, as long as I rescue it before he burns it.

Quoting Anonymous:

If there is one thing I can tell you about the man I live with, is that he is in love with food and becomes very hypocrytical about my cooking..  No matter what, if it wasn't cooked on a grill by HIM then your food sucks/isn't good enough-- but he will eat it anyway, of course ;)  I used to cook all the time and even bake.. I am 32 weeks pregnant so after I clean up the house after the big man and the little man I am exhausted and do not feel like cooking so I started buying boxed food... You know what happened next?  Grilled food almost every night and him cleaning up the kitchen (since he messed it up)  It has been nice :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 27, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Here are some typical dinner time exchanges;
Him; ''What'cha doin?", (with a worried expression)
Me;''making oven fried catfish''
Him; ''why aren't you deep frying that in vegatable oil?!"
Me: '' because this tastes just as good and is healthier''
Him; ''ugh!"
!
!Him; ''what's this?" (With a grossed out face)
Me; ''Beef burgundy''
Him; ''oh, beef stew, let's put some cream of mushroom soup in it!"
Me; ''this is a Martha Stewart recipient, I don't want to change it. I tasted it, and it's delicious.''
Him'' it doesn't have wine it it does it?"
Me; ''yeah, it's beef burgundy.''
He then proceeds to bury it in Tony's before he even tastes it
Me; ''i worked hard putting all those good flavors in it, can't you at least taste it before you obliterate all the flavor I put in it?"
Him; '' I already know it's going to be bland like hospital food.''
* if food isn't burning his tongue off he thinks it's bland. :/
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 27, 2013 at 6:23 PM
Stupid auto correct!! I wasn't trying to say ''recipient'' I was trying to say, ''recipie''!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 27, 2013 at 6:25 PM

He wouldnt be allowed in my kitchen. And possibly the house. Why do you put up with it. Specially when he is wasting food by dumping his plate. Not a good role model for the kids. 

honeydewmommy
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 6:33 PM

This is kinda funny, my DH does the same thing, and I did exactly what you are doing, not cooking. He would come in and be like did you follow the recipe, did you measure the salt like ur supposed to.  Then that butthole would make a scrunchy face before he would even taste it ! Used to drive me nuts!!! I think its awesome ur gonna go on the cooking strike Good for u!

you rock

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 27, 2013 at 6:58 PM
:-) I microwaved leftovers for myself, dh made Mac n cheese with tuna and potato chips.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)