Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Fellow SAHMs, I need help!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 25 Replies

Backstory:  I have been a SAHM for over a decade and was doing "everything" pretty well when my older two went to school and I homeschooled my youngest (at the time).  When I started homeschooling all three, I got the hang of it.  Then I had a fourth child.  Because of the nature of life with a newborn, I was pretty well able to keep up with housework, homeschooling, and newborn-ing.  As my newborn has become a preschooler, I have not been as able to keep up with "everything" anymore.

Fast-forward to now:  I'm kind of "stuck" between my LO being fairly easy to keep up with and having as much school work as the other kids.  Meaning, I need a way to keep up with my LO and get/keep the house work in order/getting done and grading paper, etc. for the older kids.

Question:  How do you do it?  How do you suggest I do this?  Any help, advice, insight, experience, stories, etc. would be GREATLY appreciated!!!  TIA! :-)

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 28, 2013 at 3:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 28, 2013 at 4:55 PM

PLEASE!!!!

I NEED some help here. 

I can write a schedule; I can't get teens and toddlers to follow it!!!

S.O.S.

NDADanceMom
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Im not sure anyone tries to do it all but you!  I work full time in my kids school so Im with them all day.  Before they were in school I was at home with them but I didnt try to home school.  

I guess Id hire  a housekeeper if I were you or enroll my kids in something that gets them out of the house and gives me a break like a sport or music lessons.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 28, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Thanks. :-)

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Im not sure anyone tries to do it all but you!  I work full time in my kids school so Im with them all day.  Before they were in school I was at home with them but I didnt try to home school.  

I guess Id hire  a housekeeper if I were you or enroll my kids in something that gets them out of the house and gives me a break like a sport or music lessons.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 28, 2013 at 5:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I hired my housework out.
Saharra
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:25 PM
I've come to the conclusion- my house is never clean unless my kids are in bed. And sometimes not then. Have the older kids help take part in the cleaning. Make a box with different chores in it. If someone says "Im bored", have them draw out a chore to do :) Make sure they know how to clean up the dishes, dust, sweep the floor, trash, whatever to help take the pressure off of you and also to get them involved. Even your LO can help by "folding" laundry. Or have him help match sox :)
Or another idea I saw somewhere was to set a timer. For 15 minutes, everybody cleans. Timer goes off, they do schoolwork for 15 minutes. Timer goes off, they play for 15 minutes. That way they get into it, but aren't bored by anything and YOU know exactly what is going to happen in that 15 minutes. You know it isn't forever so you just do it and get it done.
zumbafreak11
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 1:23 PM
I agree with Sahara. My house is never clean except when my daughter is sleeping, with my ex or at school.
newwifenmom
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this

No advice mama, I only one is 2. BUMP

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 29, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Thanks!!!  I like the box idea and the 15 min idea, especially.  Also, you're right; I have everyone do their own laundry and, frankly, IDK which socks are whose (except mine and DH's), anyway, I could designate a basket just for LO to do socks.  Thank you very much!!!

Quoting Saharra:

I've come to the conclusion- my house is never clean unless my kids are in bed. And sometimes not then. Have the older kids help take part in the cleaning. Make a box with different chores in it. If someone says "Im bored", have them draw out a chore to do :) Make sure they know how to clean up the dishes, dust, sweep the floor, trash, whatever to help take the pressure off of you and also to get them involved. Even your LO can help by "folding" laundry. Or have him help match sox :)
Or another idea I saw somewhere was to set a timer. For 15 minutes, everybody cleans. Timer goes off, they do schoolwork for 15 minutes. Timer goes off, they play for 15 minutes. That way they get into it, but aren't bored by anything and YOU know exactly what is going to happen in that 15 minutes. You know it isn't forever so you just do it and get it done.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 29, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Yeah, I know; I've been a SAHM for over ten years.  I'm not going for the nobody lives here look; I'm trying to get away from the ten slobs live here look (especially since there are only six of us).  Thanks, tho. :)

Quoting zumbafreak11:

I agree with Sahara. My house is never clean except when my daughter is sleeping, with my ex or at school.

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 3:21 PM
First have your older children do the cleaning. And they can also grade the paper work. Have them enroll in extra activities. I guess don't see where your problem is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)