Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

female firefighter : ask me anything

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:56 AM
  • 46 Replies
I have been a female firefighter for 5 yrs in a large city. I love my job. Pay is ok. Benefits are great. We are now like most major cities going through a budget crisis so I have gotten insecure for 2nd time. We operate a ambulance/ fire-rescue/ and 2 engine units. My DH encouraged me to pursue my dream and I did
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angieo39
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:59 AM
I am at work and will answer as soon as I can..never know what happens next!
TimetoMomUp
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:28 AM

My Aunt is a firefighter too.  Women firefighters rock!  Is there a way for me to introduce my children to firefighters?  Would it considered rude to drop off cookies?

Are you ever discriminated against because you are female by your coworkers?

GertieK
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:57 AM

I have been a volunteer firefighter/Paramedic since 1993.  Not as active as I used to be, because I do work two jobs, but still carry my radio and respond whenever possible.  Do an occiasion shift for EMS when they need someone to fill in.  I am currently the S--T magnet.  I am sure you understand what I am talking about!  It is a really demanding job, and your husband being supportive is awesome.  Unless you are drawn to that kind of work, it is hard to convey how deeply it permeates your life.  Keep going strong, and you rock!

angieo39
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:05 AM
We are user friendly to public. We have family day once a week for our families and this time of year. We have a bay open and at least one truck on concrete apron. Stop buy and I don't know of any here that dosent welcome stuff like you suggest

Quoting TimetoMomUp:

My Aunt is a firefighter too.  Women firefighters rock!  Is there a way for me to introduce my children to firefighters?  Would it considered rude to drop off cookies?

angieo39
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:27 AM
On discrimination. There are way to many people watching for that. There was no discrimination at the academy but they made if clear no slack. I didnt ask for any. I had to get help to make an adjustment for SCBA ( air pack) harness. Men don't have boobs like us and cross strap mashes the hell out of my boobs. We came up with a slight adjustment that helps a little.
I don't have a problem at my regular station with discrimination. There are some firefighters that preferred not to work with me at first but every newbie has to deal with time to be accepted. I have own room and separate shower. I have been at present station 3 years and my firefighters are my brothers and friends. I do get a sexual advance sometimes but its rare and easily stopped. Thats my second family plus rules are very tough. Any untoward behavior means both parties transferred to separate stations.
There are some fellow firefighters wives who are jealous of me at first.. I am sure that goes away. I am ordinary plain jane

Quoting TimetoMomUp:

gammie
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:31 AM

How do you feel when they hire a women that physically can't do things like her co-workers?

My sil had a women who was just too petite to do anything on her own. She is pregnant  now so she is out.

EvilAsh
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:42 AM

No questions, just wanna say thanks. I appreciate all firefighters after what they did for my family, male or female <3

angieo39
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:27 PM
I don't know they hire anyone that can't pass minimum physical standards. This is whether male or female. They have hired females before me to meet gender goals but I can hold my own. When your on a team you soon recognize certain individuals do certain tasks better. My specialty is getting in tight places whether vehicle and someone is entrapped or ditch. There are females who get pregnant and when time comes; they are assigned to academy or office work. Once you get into system they aren't going to dump you and turn over is low.

Quoting gammie:

How do you feel when they hire a women that physically can't do things like her co-workers?

My sil had a women who was just too petite to do anything on her own. She is pregnant  now so she is out.

angieo39
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks..the only reason I put female in front of firefighter in this site is cause we are moms and I used to just put firefighter in and was taken as male.

Quoting EvilAsh:

No questions, just wanna say thanks. I appreciate all firefighters after what they did for my family, male or female <3

kattu
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:30 PM
What's your most memorable call, good or bad?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN