Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

If you made more money, would you be happier?

Posted by   + Show Post

University of Michigan economists Betsey Stevenson and Justin Wolfers have discovered that for people of all economic circumstances, when income rises, people say they are happier. (http://now.msn.com/more-income-makes-people-happier-says-study)

If you made more money, would YOU be happier?

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Replies (31-40):
CarolinaGirl88
by on May. 1, 2013 at 1:26 AM
A little bit, I mean I'm still happy now but it would be nice to not have to worry about a budget as much and to have more wiggle room.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 1, 2013 at 1:49 AM
I think my husband would be happier. Which would make me happier. I don't really stress over money, there's not a whole lot I want. I would take mor vacations. That wouldn't make me 'happier' per say, but I would enjoy it.
taniamorse85
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 1:58 AM

This exactly.

Quoting nodramamama311:

I would be happier if we didn't have to struggle, worry about how we are going to pay upcoming bills. I'd be happier if we had a vehicle that didn't have a check engine light on all the time and leaked radiator fluid. Yes, if we had more money I'd be happier because the stress and worry would be gone. I don't need to be filthy rich and have tons of material things, just less worry.

JDsWifey
by on May. 1, 2013 at 2:02 AM

We're doing fine already, but sure, having extra money to put away would be great.

hspear
by on May. 1, 2013 at 3:04 AM

Yes. I realize how vain that makes me sound (that's actually a joke I frequently make to DH-that I am vain in nature because money is ALWAYS one of my top concerns, if not THE top concern - though it's not entirely a joke).

However, it's not so we can both drive BMWs, have smartphones, a big screen TV, a palatial house, etc. We drive 2 used cars that need repairs pretty regularly, he has a smartphone but he needs it for work - my phone is a 5yo piece of crap that DS spilled milk on today and it barely works, but I'll keep using it till it flat-out DOESN'T work, and we have a 19-inch TV with no cable lol, and we rent our home. I'm happy with that for how early in our marriage we are. But DS was born so early with so many health problems that, regardless of our health insurance, we owe somewhere upwards of $100,000 just on his hospital bill, not including my own. DH is terrible with money, so he never paid off his student loans from 15 years ago and went into default before we got married (didn't tell me about it for over a year, so I'm slowly but surely turning that situation around - even got him out of default, wage garnishment taken away, and much lower payments each month :-D  ), and we've been fighting a custody battle for the last 5 years  that we recently won, but still owe around $30,000 in lawyers' fees for (just to name the top three financial stressors).

I don't handle stress well; I'm the one that takes care of making sure the bills are paid in full, so that all falls on me. Tried passing it over to DH (he demanded it after we got into a fight about money), but after I had to mail in 5 bills in a row behind his back because he didn't know ANYTHING to do about the encroaching due dates and I didn't want them to be late, I took them back over. Essentially, I run our home, kids, work my 40 hours a week, and am 7 months pregnant. I grew up in a family where we had to go over the finances and decide which bill was getting skipped this month and made up the next; DH grew up in a family that, at one point, had 7 people living in a one-room house (not one-bedroom, one ROOM - essentially the house was a studio house). Adding the financial stressors to that, I am WAAAAYYY overwound lol. My kids are healthy, have a roof over their heads, and eat 3 meals a day. I'm grateful for that, but I can't get past the worry to simply celebrate those things. Having more money would sincerely help me.

krayzbabylove
by on May. 1, 2013 at 3:25 AM
I don't think it would make much of a difference in my life.
BrighteyedAsh
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 3:38 AM
I'm content and happy as I am now, but a slight income raise would be great. Money helps you experience a few extra things. But I do believe in being creative with 'free' ideas. Really opens you up. But still, yea, a little more money for doing things with would be great.
nyxiemist
by on May. 1, 2013 at 4:15 AM

I would be more relaxed therefore happier. 

mmtosam06
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 4:20 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Thelmama:

I am happy even if we do live pay check to pay check. We are blessed.  Would things be easier, yes, but I am already very happy.  God is so good and my faith helps me see the positive in life even when things are tough.  I can't explain it but I am happy beyond words and working to get things better. Being happy and content doesn't mean I just sit and don't change but it means I don't let life get to me.

Stephanie nice to meet you.
crazymom21
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 4:20 AM
I'd just be happy if dh got paid what he was worth. Right now I'm just glad we are making it and I don't have to work.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)