Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

How do you make friends with your neighbors?

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:11 PM
  • 27 Replies

We built our home and moved in to it in Sept 12.  Outside of a few small conversations with my next door neighbor, I have not really met any of my neighbors yet.  I thought about baking a whole bunch of cookies and taking them door to door to introduce myself.  Would that be weird?  Any suggestions?

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Texascandee
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:05 PM

I met my neighbors when we happened to be outside at the same time.  I either just waved or said hi and the conversation just took off.

ETA.........I love to bake so I made cookies or a cake and took it over to welcome them to the complex

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:11 PM
Yes, I play Bunco and Pokeno was neighbor ladies. We also have a yearly picnic and also the ladies have a yearly cookie swap and breakfast before Christmas. Some also have a neighborhood Bible Study.
TimetoMomUp
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:19 PM

I might try the cookies.

Quoting Texascandee:

I met my neighbors when we happened to be outside at the same time.  I either just waved or said hi and the conversation just took off.

ETA.........I love to bake so I made cookies or a cake and took it over to welcome them to the complex

TimetoMomUp
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds amazing.  I wish my neighborhood were more like that.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes, I play Bunco and Pokeno was neighbor ladies. We also have a yearly picnic and also the ladies have a yearly cookie swap and breakfast before Christmas. Some also have a neighborhood Bible Study.

mamanjulie
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:30 PM
We rented a couple of big BBQ's, made tons of salad and invited everyone on our street ( short street,12 houses) to bring the meat and join us for a block party. Great way to meet everyone at once and get the scoop on the neighbourhood . Generates lots of goodwill and gets you a "get out of jail free" card for the next time you accidently put out the garbage a day early and the crows scatter it in neighbour's driveway.
TimetoMomUp
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:34 PM

This is what I want!  I grew up in a place where every weekend was a neighborhood block party and they always centered around my house.  It was awesome.  The houses in my neighborhood may be nice, but without the neighbor part, it has lost its luster.

Quoting mamanjulie:

We rented a couple of big BBQ's, made tons of salad and invited everyone on our street ( short street,12 houses) to bring the meat and join us for a block party. Great way to meet everyone at once and get the scoop on the neighbourhood . Generates lots of goodwill and gets you a "get out of jail free" card for the next time you accidently put out the garbage a day early and the crows scatter it in neighbour's driveway.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:39 PM
Some are bitchy and 2 faced.

Quoting TimetoMomUp:

Sounds amazing.  I wish my neighborhood were more like that.

Quoting Anonymous:

princesskt
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:41 PM

I grew up in a neighborhood where we had a crew of friends that I still hang out with today..."the gang"...However, in my neighborhood as an adult I don't know any of my neighbors.  I would think that it was nice if a new neighbor came to the door with cookies. 

EireLass
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 8:26 AM

We moved in Dec. '11. We're in New England so we didn't see anyone outside. But when we walked, we'd wave to anyone driving by. Then in the spring, our neighbor came over...has some excuse that broke the ice....his cat or something. Now he comes over about once a week, just chatting. We give him eggs from out chickens and ducks, he gives us venison. Dan helped plow him out, he came over and did something with Dan.

bad_mama2011
by on May. 1, 2013 at 8:33 AM

I don't know how to make friends with our neighbors, we're like mortal enemies.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)