Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

How do you make friends with your neighbors?

Posted by   + Show Post

We built our home and moved in to it in Sept 12.  Outside of a few small conversations with my next door neighbor, I have not really met any of my neighbors yet.  I thought about baking a whole bunch of cookies and taking them door to door to introduce myself.  Would that be weird?  Any suggestions?

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Replies (11-20):
Jennyanne322
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 8:39 AM
What about a party or BBQ? Do your children and any of the children on the block hand out? Befriend those parents first. Don't let any of the people on the block put a bad taste in your mouth about anyone else and let yourself form your own opinions on everyone.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 1, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Well for me, we feed them free food all the time, let them walk all over certain parts of our land, and always make sure they have fresh, clean water.

But they are a herd of cows, and 1 donkey, so I am no help at all  :)

TimetoMomUp
by on May. 1, 2013 at 9:21 AM

LOL

Quoting Anonymous:

Well for me, we feed them free food all the time, let them walk all over certain parts of our land, and always make sure they have fresh, clean water.

But they are a herd of cows, and 1 donkey, so I am no help at all  :)

greycrittermom
by on May. 1, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Sounds like y'all live in the city. I live in the county, where most everybody has at least 5 acres so there is some distance. I just start by waving every time i see them drive by or outside. Then at some point when we are all outside in our yards, we introduce ourselves.
It is good to know a little about your neighbors so you know if there is a strange car cruising the streets.
TimetoMomUp
by on May. 1, 2013 at 12:21 PM

We live in the burbs but in comparison, it might seem like the city.  Technically we are a "town" of 70K.  lol

Quoting greycrittermom:

Sounds like y'all live in the city. I live in the county, where most everybody has at least 5 acres so there is some distance. I just start by waving every time i see them drive by or outside. Then at some point when we are all outside in our yards, we introduce ourselves.
It is good to know a little about your neighbors so you know if there is a strange car cruising the streets.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 1, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I live in a development with ~40 houses.  An annual holiday party for the adults is always organized.  Halloween night is always a big hit with everyone.  Some neighbors are more social than others so they would hosts dinner, pool, graduation, birthday, etc. parties.  There used to be an annual block party but the organizers of this event stopped when her kids entered college. I am friendly with everyone but only friends with a few of them.

Marimaru
by on May. 1, 2013 at 4:31 PM

My neighbor was over with cookies before I could even suggest it.  Another couple and us got talking one day, and we just invited them over for dinner on a whim.  This summer we're thinking of an open invitation to a bbq.

aflower
by New Member on May. 1, 2013 at 11:37 PM
Hi
First if it was me, I would say hi when you happen to see your neighbors. This is a good first introduction, feel how your received by them. I however wouldn't go door to door, until your feel comfortable, this you already know. The cookies sound good, and when you feel comfortable bring them to this person or persons outside! I'm a very cautious person! I new my neighbor for a month before I gave them a welcome to the neighbor hood gift.
aflower
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 2, 2013 at 1:03 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes, I play Bunco and Pokeno was neighbor ladies. We also have a yearly picnic and also the ladies have a yearly cookie swap and breakfast before Christmas. Some also have a neighborhood Bible Study.

This sounds like a great idea.

want10more
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 2:30 AM

sure do the cookies! my next door neighbor was my old english teacher... boyyyyy would she get xtra fudge-laxative kind! if you see someone from the neighborhood jogging, how bout asking to join her? ask for suggestions on the best babysitters, grocery stores... whatever. just to get a convo going...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)