Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nursing in public is vulgar and gross?!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

While at a store recently, I sat down on one of the benches they have along the back wall of the store to nurse my baby girl and this lady came by and said I needed to throw a blanket over my daughter's head "so people don't have to see that." When I asked her what she meant, she said, in a hissed whisper, "Your breast is exposed. People don't need to see that."

I said, "My breast isn't exposed, it's covered by my baby's face as she drinks her dinner."

She said, "It's disgusting and I'm reporting you to the manager for being so vulgar and gross in public!"

Do YOU think it's "vulgar and gross" for a woman to nurse in public?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 2, 2013 at 8:23 AM
Replies (311-317):
---terrah---
by on Jun. 7, 2013 at 10:02 PM

No I do not. I will openly admit that before I had my children, NIP did make me uncomfortable. But all that changed when I had my first baby. Once I became a mother, I realized how amazing it is for a woman to be able to feed her child...how natural.

Now when I see a woman NIP, I'm jealous. Because of medical issues with myself, I couldn't BF either of my boys. So when I see a breastfeeding mom, instead of being uncomfortable, I'm thinking "wow, I wish I could have done that".

sarlove01
by on Jun. 7, 2013 at 10:16 PM
Um no. But i try to wear 2 shirts and cover as much as possible...sit.in an in conspicuous place etc.... You're fine as long.as.you're.modest who.cares.what she says....does.she approach all women with low cut shirt to tell them the same. Tell her to get over it or.don't look
sarlove01
by on Jun. 7, 2013 at 10:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Well the.post.was actually asking if we thought ot was vulgar.or not...so the poster actually did do that. HOWEVER. my guess is that response was just to start drama...cause you know someone had to. Lol. I agree with you but don't let the drama offend you just roll your eyes and move on or say something simple like..."well...that's offensive" then don't respond to them when they attack you back...its kinda funny.to.see them get frustrated when no one acknowledges them

Quoting brilynnsmommy:

Well seeing as you are both coming up as anonymous I don't really know who is who. And I specifically stated unless the problem arose afterwards, I don't understand the issue. And why can't people just explain their reasoning when someones says I don't understand. She could have said that she adopted or that it happened after the baby went to solids or honestly any other reasoning. I asked questions. Whether you see it or not I really don't care. I just didn't understand so I asked about it. Big deal. Who cares? And I'm pretty sure you both knew what I was talking about when I said "babies". There's no reason to go around what I said just because I didn't put every single instance of what could be possible in there. This isn't supposed to be about what I said or how I said it. I'm freaking pregnant, so honestly how say things and what I meant by them are on different levels. I just feel that being called ignorant because I don't understand why she would comment on a group post about breastfeeding when she (from what she has said) apparently has never breastfed or even formula fed a baby. The whole point of the post is about breastfeeding in public versus in private. If she doesn't have any experience in feeding a baby (which is why we are here on this post) then how can she come and make a comment like that? I don't comment on things I don't know about. I don't know the first thing about going through adoption so of course I wouldn't be in an argument about it. I don't know the first thing about losing a child so, of course, I don't comment on it. But that's just me. If there is an issue that arises that I don't have first-hand knowledge of, I don't put my very limited two cents in. It just makes sense. And I may not have asked my questions elequoently enough for you, but I really don't care to continue to defend myself. I don't have the time or honestly the energy. I however do not feel that it was kind of anyone to attack me simply because I didn't and still don't understand why she made the comments that she has.

Quoting Anonymous:

If you want someone to answer your question then why don't you ask the person who peaked your interest instead of quoting me? Who said that she ever had a baby?  I know many people who adopted older children (or do you not consider them mothers either?). . I am not turning your words in any way. I am reading them and replying to them just as you wrote them. You said and I quote "She said she doesn't feed babies. So I am asking how can she be a mother if she doesn't feed babies." I replied with the honest fact that I don't feed babies since I haven't had one in 4 years. You implied that she isn't a mother because she doesn't have a baby and doesn't feed them so I pointed out that I don't have babies so by your logic I am not a mother. On top of that you never asked her anything. 

"So why are you on a site for moms if you're not a mother? I don't see the point in you commenting about mothers breastfeeding when you don't have any experience in any of the issues. That's like me as a mother trying to comment on issues about women who can't concieve children. Why would you even have signed up with CafeMom in first place? I don't understand the logic here."

You pretty much told her that because she doesn't feed babies she is not a mother and doesn't belong here. You didn't ask a damn thing related to why she doesn't feed babies or anything. You just basically told her -and everyone else who doesn't have a baby anymore- that she is not a mother and should have never signed up for Cafemom. It is YOU that made yourself look like an ignorant cunt. Don't try to make it seem like I twisted anything.  If you want to be on a site where it is only about babies then join babycenter.

Quoting brilynnsmommy:

Are freaking kidding me? You know what I am saying by that statement. Don't go around my words and turn what I am saying around on me. I said if the issue of not being able to stand the sound arised after the baby went on solids, then that is understandable. But I do NOT understand how you could have the issue beforehand.

ARE YOU UNDERSTANDING WHAT IM SAYING OR DO I NEED TO MAKE IT MORE CLEAR?

I honestly don't understand how one question, a simple one at that, has led to this being such a dragged out issue. Just answer it. It's so easy.

Quoting Anonymous:

I didn't know you needed a baby to be a mother. Apparently in your eyes motherhood stops after the kid is eating solids. I don't have a baby. So by your logic I don't belong here.

Quoting brilynnsmommy:

She said she doesn't feed babies. So I am asking how can she be a mother if she doesn't feed babies. I don't see how I can be ignorant when honestly that doesn't make any sense. Babies eat. If you don't feed them, then you must not have one. End of story. There's no need to be rude about the issue. I asked questions because I didn't understand the post. And after asking more questions and not getting answers I still don't understand the post. It doesn't make sense unless the issue arised after raising your children, then that would be understandable. But if you've always had this issue, then how can you be a mother?

Quoting Anonymous:

I missed where she said she isn't a mother. I haven't fed a baby in 4 years so am I not a mom too?

Quoting brilynnsmommy:

So why are you on a site for moms if you're not a mother? I don't see the point in you commenting about mothers breastfeeding when you don't have any experience in any of the issues. That's like me as a mother trying to comment on issues about women who can't concieve children. Why would you even have signed up with CafeMom in first place? I don't understand the logic here.

Quoting AliKatAK47:

That sound also makes me gag as does burping, farting, smacking gum etc.  Its called Misophonia. I don't feed babies at all sooo. 

Quoting brilynnsmommy:

WOW.....seriously????? Its the same sound as someone drinking from a straw or eating spaghetti and you say it makes you vomit? How do you feed a baby? Leave them alone with a bottle so they can choke on it and die??? You should get that checked. Seriously. That may be something serious, either physically or psychologically.

Quoting AliKatAK47:

If I see it I'll leave. I have left restaurants (left a note telling to put it on her bill), stores and the park.  The sound makes me vomit and I won't stay anywhere where I am physically ill. 

tennisgal
by on Jun. 7, 2013 at 11:08 PM

bwhaha! crazy lady! no, it's not vulgar NOR gross.

However, I will admit that I gave more of a show than intended at Hacienda the other night. My 6mo has determined that he WILL NOT be covered, so I tried to balance him on my lap, dig my boobs out and hold a blanket over me at the same time. It was NOT graceful. lol. 

Bookwormy
by Member on Jun. 7, 2013 at 11:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Irrelevant to what that woman said you were probably well within your & baby's legal rights.
maryjanelove1
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 1:12 AM
I hadmany rude comments concerning the BF of my children to me like I always tell them way before they invented formula I would how did children of the world eat as babies. covering up doesn't really concern me my concern is my child hunger
paganbaby
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Lmao! That used to be my siggy!

Quoting Anonymous:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)