Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Could you go without buying "non-essentials" for an entire year?

Posted by on May. 2, 2013 at 11:49 AM
  • 6 Replies
1 mom liked this

Family Goes One Year Without Buying Anything (VIDEO)

by Lindsay Ferrier 

Family

Could you go a whole year without buying anything that's not essential to your survival?

The Dannemiller family in Nashville, Tennessee, is doing it. Four months in, they've learned some tough (and a few hilarious) lessons about what really matters in life. Check out our Moms Matter video report and see for yourself how they're doing.

Now that you've seen the video, here are a few behind-the-scenes facts we couldn't fit into the video story.

-The Dannemillers were inspired to go a year without buying after reading the book, The Power of Enough: Finding Contentment By Putting Stuff in Its Place.

-Their rules: "Essentials" include food, toiletries, and emergency house/major appliance repairs. It also includes Internet access, since both rely on the Internet for their jobs. It does not include clothing, haircuts (fortunately, a family member cuts their hair for them), or minor appliances.

-Although they aren't buying presents for their children ("experiential" presents that they can enjoy together like a trip to the museum are allowed), they are letting friends and family buy them presents for birthdays and Christmas. They reason that the kids didn't sign up for this, and it's not fair to force them to go without birthday and Christmas presents.

-Surprisingly, the Dannemillers really haven't saved any money as a result of not buying stuff. They say it's probably because money has been freed up for them to travel more this year, so they've been visiting friends and attending out-of-town events they ordinarily might have skipped.

-They have "cheated" twice so far. They bought their son a new pair of sneakers after he wore the soles out of his old ones -- and they used a refund on a purchase to buy their daughter a new lunch box for the first day of school.

-The Dannemillers worried that their story might be taken the wrong way -- after all, plenty of people are going without because they HAVE to, not because they CHOSE to. They were very quick to emphasize the fact that what they're doing isn't difficult or a major hardship to their family. It's simply a way to remind themselves that "stuff" is not what matters at the end of the day.

-To give you an idea of how Gabby gets around the rules when it comes to kids' birthday parties: When her son came to my son's birthday party (which is how I found out what the Dannemillers are doing this year), they gave my son a big box containing Mentos, a two-liter bottle of soda (food, after all, is allowed!), and Internet-printed instructions on creating a 20-foot "geyser" science experiment. My 6-year-old son LOVED it, and called it "THE BIG EXPLODE." It was one of his favorite presents!

I loved reporting this story because the Dannemillers really made me think about "stuff" in a new way. Scott made a great point when he said that he's realized it's important to ask yourself if what you're buying is going to take time away from the relationships in your life. For women, even the act of shopping can do this. I have a little bit of money put aside and have been thinking of buying a Kindle Fire, but Scott made me realize that all it would do is ... take me away a little more from my family. I'm thinking now that I don't need that Kindle after all.

Now tell me -- could you go without buying "non-essentials" for an entire year?

by on May. 2, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Jenniy
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 11:53 AM
My kids are flying through clothes bc they won't stop growing, so I kind of need to keep up with that. Lol
storkradio193
by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I'm not a big consumer anyway.  It would depend on what are non-essentials, as I would consider shoes, mentioned in the article, an essential item.  It would also require already having plenty of items/junk/material goods to get through the year (e.g. the birthday present they mentioned in the article requires having stuff already).  It would be very different to buy nothing if you don't much around already.

http://www.cafemom.com/home/storkradio193

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 2, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Me too. Growing out of clothes or holes in shoes are essentials.

Quoting storkradio193:

I'm not a big consumer anyway.  It would depend on what are non-essentials, as I would consider shoes, mentioned in the article, an essential item.  It would also require already having plenty of items/junk/material goods to get through the year (e.g. the birthday present they mentioned in the article requires having stuff already).  It would be very different to buy nothing if you don't much around already.

ninamsi
by Member on May. 2, 2013 at 3:22 PM

No, I would like to but I doubt I could actually do it.

elkmomma
by Member on May. 2, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Yup sure could do it again, but DS may have a meltdown with out cartoons and SO would have a fit if he couldn't play his games.  I could careless if I have new cloths or  new kitchen gadget.

JDsWifey
by on May. 3, 2013 at 11:05 PM

I don't think I could do it...especially finding out that hair styling appointments are considered non-essential LOL:) I could definitely cut back on spending and buying a lot of things, but not down to just the bare minimum needed for survival.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN