Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you warn your children about leaving school with strangers?

Cafe Steph
Yesterday at 11:11 AM
What are you doing this weekend? - CafeMom

I'm going to spend some time with my family this weekend, starting with Grandmother's funeral, then celebrating my

Posted by on May. 3, 2013 at 1:42 PM
  • 13 Replies

Little Girl Allegedly Kidnapped by Teacher Who Had a Beef With Mom

by Kiri Blakeley 

A 6-year-old girl was reportedly kidnapped from a school by a woman and taken to a hotel for the night and then dropped off on a remote road. She was eventually found by good Samaritans, who brought her to the police. So at least this ends well. But you won't believe how it began! Police are saying that the woman who allegedly kidnapped the girl, Jashayla Hopson, walked into her school and asked for her by name. And although the girl didn't know her, the school handed the girl over! Excuse me, what?! The girl was then reportedly led to a car by the woman. And even more disturbing, the strange woman was -- a teacher! OMG, does this story get any more disturbing?

The woman who was arrested, Jesse Mae Brown Pollard, is reportedly a veteran high school teacher in Alabama. The little girl was at an elementary school in Mississippi.

It gets worse. Four hours after the girl disappeared from school, the girl's mother, Rochelle Ford, reportedly received a text message that said:

don't call the police I will call you later if you call the police u wont see her again.

Can you imagine just suddenly getting a text message like that? The mom must have freaked! She then reportedly called the number from where the text message came from but only heard "heavy breathing." Holy hell!

Meanwhile, Pollard was allegedly with the girl and brought her to a Best Western, where she stayed the night with another woman. In the morning, the little girl and the unidentified woman got in a car and drove to a remote area. The little girl was told to get out of the car and wait for her mother. This is beginning to sound like that creepy scene from Fatal Attraction when Glenn Close kidnaps Michael Douglas' kid for a roller coaster ride!

An Amber Alert was issued and the girl's mom went on TV to plead for her return. Meanwhile, the girl walked to a nearby home, and the residents recognized her as the girl from TV and called police. Crazy!

Apparently this all stems from some kind of beef the two women had with each other. What beef could cause all this is unknown at the time. Law enforcement said:

Later when the defendant was interviewed at her home, there was evidence of a dispute between the defendant and the victim's mother.

Pollard was arrested and her bond was denied. I can't fathom what would make any woman -- let alone a teacher -- scare a little girl like this. Pollard obviously has some serious issues. And the school has some serious issues with its policy of checking out children.

Do you warn your children about leaving school with strangers?

by on May. 3, 2013 at 1:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lacyd75
by on May. 3, 2013 at 1:43 PM
For sure I do! Leaving ANYWHERE with a stranger for that matter!
EireLass
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2013 at 4:49 PM

I told them ahead of time if someone else would be there to pick them up...even if it was their dad. Beyond that, we had a secret word. I told them that the person picking them up (if it was not told ahead of time) would know the word.

fatcat0908
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Our school won'tet any child leave without first checking the persons ID and then making sure it matches up with the release form they have each students parent/guardian fill out every year. Even if you pick your child up routinely and they know you personally they have to check and document it each and every time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Bella on May. 3, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Scary!

mawith2
by on May. 3, 2013 at 7:31 PM
At our school parents who pick up are given a number you have to have it to pick up your kid. No number no kid. I have no idea what happens if u lose ur number....
nurse1997
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 11:41 PM

YES AND MY CHILDREN ARE IN HIGH SCHOOL AND MIDDLE SCHOOL WE GO OVER  THE  WHAT  IFS ALL THE TIME SO THEY ARE READY TO FACE A SITUATION IF IT SHOULD A RISE   !!!

seretae
by on May. 4, 2013 at 10:35 AM
I find d teachers dem slack 2 cause dey didn't ask any question.I always talk to my older kid about strangers & she is very smart.she would never go wit someone she don't know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 7:04 PM

No, there is no way anyone on an approved list can get my kids and not to mention nobody is allowed to just walk into the school all doors are locked.  However, in order for them to go with anyone we have a code word for ANYONE other than daddy or mommy.  Even my parents know unless they use the code word my kids will not go with them.

Emily123456
by Member on May. 4, 2013 at 11:56 PM
My kids know not to go with stranges and the school were I live if your not the mom r dad they call ask if we know who picking them up and than they ask for id
kourtneya
by Kourtney on May. 5, 2013 at 12:56 AM
Same

Quoting EireLass:

I told them ahead of time if someone else would be there to pick them up...even if it was their dad. Beyond that, we had a secret word. I told them that the person picking them up (if it was not told ahead of time) would know the word.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)