Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

HELP PLEASE!!

Posted by on May. 4, 2013 at 2:09 PM
  • 9 Replies

Help me!! 

My son is 15 months old. He's been teething like crazy. He has gotten both his bottom molars in (span of 2 days) which puts him at 10 teeth so far. He's currently still got another 4 teeth coming in on the bottom that I can see, and I can't see the top.

Anywho, I know this has been going on for about 2 weeks now, and his sleeping has gone horribly. For the first week or so, I could understand, but now he's been so unsettled and just screams bloody murder all night long. I would give him Ibuprofen and his paci and he'd drift back to sleep, but would wake up after an hour or so screaming again. 

So we ended up thinking it was gas or something, and I tried giving him a small amount of gas drops. That would settle him down and he'd sleep for maybe 3 hours and then wake up screaming again. It's getting out of control.

Especially now that it's been going on for a couple weeks. Last night, my husband mentioned maybe he's afraid of the dark, because when we go in to check on him we turn the hall light on and he calms down... Is it possible for a 15 month old to be scared of the dark?? I'm thinking of getting a nightlight today, but I'm nervous that will keep him up even more... 

Any ideas ladies?? 

by on May. 4, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Crazylife1994
by on May. 4, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Try ground clove. It tastes horrible but numbs for hours. Plus frozen washclothes.

acrogodess
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 3:47 PM
1 mom liked this

It is likely separation anxiety. He feels alone when he awakens in the dark. The night light will likely help and maybe leaving some white noise like a CD with water flowing, the wind in the trees, etc. Also tuck him in with maybe a shirt of yours that smells like you.

GertieK
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2013 at 10:16 PM

I imagine in the beginning it was the teeth, but now he has figured out that he can scream and get you hopping around.  Try a night light, go in, DO NOT speak to him.... sooth him, lay him down, cover him up, and go back to bed. 

cesol912
by on May. 5, 2013 at 8:11 AM

This is what I did for my children when they were little...I did get them a nightlight..BUT for the teething their dr. told me to use whiskey..Yes I said whiskey..I told the dr he was crazy as hell..The teething thing got way bad so I went and got the smallest bottle of whiskey put some on my finger rubbed their gums and we both were happy..Then just throw the whiskey away when they are done teething..I did that for all 5 of my children & my 15 grandchildren.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2013 at 9:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I would put a nightlight in his room. I would get an amber necklace for him to wear 24/7. I would rub his gums with brandy.

907PickleMom
by Member on May. 5, 2013 at 1:46 PM
I agree with the nightlight and amber necklace.

Quoting EireLass:

I would put a nightlight in his room. I would get an amber necklace for him to wear 24/7. I would rub his gums with brandy.

HunnyBabie
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2013 at 3:11 PM

There are low watage bulbs you could put in the hall.  Also, a nightlight is meant for ppl to sleep while it is on.

For the teething, rub his gums when he wakes up.

Also, I had one that did this at about the same age (a couple months older).  Anyway, I started giving him a placebo to get him back to sleep.  I crushed a calcium pill and mixed it with just enough water to make it the same consistancy as the meds, I added a little sugar.  I had intended to add a little juice for the fruit flavoring, but I forgot before I went to bed and he didn't seem to care.  I administered it exactly as I would the ibuprofen; made sure he got it all, same "dosage", treated him exactly as if it was ibuprofen.

shetibo
by on May. 5, 2013 at 3:32 PM

i too agree! my son still wears his amber to this day. i never hear pain complaints! and best of all he never really fussed when his teeth came in. best of luck and hang in there!

and a night light just might do the trick!

Toxic_Fool
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Thanks Ladies. I am curious about this amber idea, will be checking into it more. Probably going to try a nightlight and see what the doctor has to say about a few other ideas. :] 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN