Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We may be a little "unconventional"

Posted by on May. 4, 2013 at 3:14 PM
  • 14 Replies
5 moms liked this

Our family may be "unconventional" but it works for us.

My husband and I have been together for almost 19 yrs. We started dating when we were 14 and became parents for the first time when we were 16. We didn't have our second child until we were 21 but a few months after he was born we gained custody of my brother's 3 oldest children. So we went from a 5 yr and a 3 month old to adding an 8 yr old, 6 yr old, and 5 yr old to our 2 bedroom apartment. By 2005 we added 2 more children.

Now our children are 21, 18, 17, 15, 12, 9, & 8. We have basic rules that everyone follows including their friends. We openly discuss sex, drugs, STD's, drinking, and everyday pressures they face. We allow access to condoms and other forms a BC.

One of our rules is absolutly no dating until age 16. School always comes first. Grades are to remain in good standing at all times.

Most would not agree with how we run our home or raise our children but it works for us. This is the first generation in 3 generations that no one has gotten pregnant or gotten someone pregnant in high school in our family.

My kids will still hug me and give me a kiss and say I love you in front of their friends. They talk to us about problems they are having. When they have messed up they come tell us.

Yes I was young when I became a mom but I would not change my life for anything. Successful businesses I share with my husband, happy healthy children, overall a great life.

If someone wants to judge me for the happiness in my life. Then go ahead I will not apologize for who I am.

by on May. 4, 2013 at 3:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
baby7810
by Member on May. 4, 2013 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Good for you guys :) at least some people are still raising good kids even if you started younger than most
fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 7:01 PM

That is the avg. age where I live to date and the rule in our house too.  My oldest is 16 and still has chosen not to date. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 4, 2013 at 9:21 PM
I see nothing wrong with any of that. But I don't see why you feel the need to explain yourself. Who cares what anyone thinks?
GertieK
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2013 at 10:00 PM

I think you sound like an awsome woman. 

EireLass
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2013 at 9:27 AM

I don't see anything really too different, or anything to judge at. I also don't see anything spectacular. Regular, normal people.

mollymae09
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Sounds like wonderful parenting to me. you are the perfect example of a GOOD teen mom. thank you! We see far too many bad ones in the media and forget that there are some damn awesome young moms out there!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
circle_of_life
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Sounds pretty normal to me.

gogohas2babies
by Member on May. 5, 2013 at 11:03 AM

It sounds like you are doing a great job.  

Crazylife1994
by on May. 6, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Truthfully I don't care what people think of me but as an "original teen mom" it bothers me to see so many women talk so poorly of young moms. I know there are a lot of poor acting young moms but they get talked about because they screwed up. No one talks about the ones who are doing the right thing.

Quoting Anonymous:

I see nothing wrong with any of that. But I don't see why you feel the need to explain yourself. Who cares what anyone thinks?

Crazylife1994
by on May. 6, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Thank you but believe or not I am still talked about as this stupid whore who couldn't keep her legs shut. I just think if more people would help guide a young woman who has goten pregnant in the right direction we would see more that do succeed.  

Quoting mollymae09:

Sounds like wonderful parenting to me. you are the perfect example of a GOOD teen mom. thank you! We see far too many bad ones in the media and forget that there are some damn awesome young moms out there!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)