Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

At what age should girls start shaving their legs?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 34 Replies

My hair was very light, fine, and hard to see when I was a girl so my Mama said I couldn't shave until I was 13, and then only to just above the knee. Now my daughter has her father's Italian ancestry, however, and her hair is dark, thick, and very noticeable. My MIL says I should let her start shaving now, at age 8, but I think 8 is too young.

What age do you think is okay for a girl to start shaving?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 6, 2013 at 12:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 6, 2013 at 12:27 PM
Depends. I would say 12 or so. Earlier if dark and heavy. I would discourage at 8. Once you start you can't stop.
proudmommy690
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 12:28 PM
I started at 11.
RUCRIOUS925
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I suggest that instead of shaving you consider Nair hair remover, this way since she is only 8 she won't cut herself and the hairs will grow back a little smoother and less often. At least this is route I took with my daughter 10yrs ago and it worked out amazingly. She was happy I was happy everyone won. This is a great bonding time with your little lady :)

do11face
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I was in 4th grade. I had light skin and dark hair and was being teased.
I tried the nair but it didn't seem to work so well so my mom let me start shaving.

I suppose it would depend how your daughter is feeling about. Does it bother her?
If not I would wait until she says something.

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 12:36 PM
When the child ask
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NDADanceMom
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:09 PM

mine did at 10 or so.  I didnt forbid it ever.  If they notice it, its time to shave.

ajdahd13
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 1:10 PM
When my dd feels uncomfortable with the hair on her legs.
lapcounter
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2013 at 1:10 PM
Near is a great idea, my 7 yr old has been asking.

Quoting RUCRIOUS925:

I suggest that instead of shaving you consider Nair hair remover, this way since she is only 8 she won't cut herself and the hairs will grow back a little smoother and less often. At least this is route I took with my daughter 10yrs ago and it worked out amazingly. She was happy I was happy everyone won. This is a great bonding time with your little lady :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RUCRIOUS925
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Yeah, I feel lotion hair removers are much better for 8-10yr olds. Less risk and teaches them responsibility of what the up keep of this step is and means. :)

Vamp
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I started at 11, is she getting picked on? is she shy to wear shorts or skirts? Is she getting concious about it? then maybe its time to start.

You think she could handle wax on wax off? I would rather go with wax since the beginning

good lusck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)