Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Should you let baby cry it out at night?

Posted by on May. 8, 2013 at 3:23 PM
  • 19 Replies

When your baby cries at night, do you let him/her cry it out, or do you go in to pick him/her up? What do you think about crying it out?

by on May. 8, 2013 at 3:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JustBreath2013
by on May. 8, 2013 at 3:29 PM
Yes I should, I have no clue if you should. If mine are safe,full,dry,clean and unhurt they are going to cio in ten minute intervals.
PINKmyfavcolor
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this

So you go in and check on them every 10min if they're still crying?

Quoting JustBreath2013:

Yes I should, I have no clue if you should. If mine are safe,full,dry,clean and unhurt they are going to cio in ten minute intervals.

paganbaby
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 3:47 PM

I never had the heart too. Then again, I co-slept with all three of my kids and breastfed the last two, so the situation never really came up.

JustBreath2013
by on May. 8, 2013 at 3:52 PM
2 moms liked this
Yes... I go in, calm them and go another ten. It is the ferber method. Teaches self soothing without fear or abandonment. Make sense?

Quoting PINKmyfavcolor:

So you go in and check on them every 10min if they're still crying?

Quoting JustBreath2013:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 9, 2013 at 8:09 AM

I didn't have to do that with my first - she was a super happy baby. The second, though, I tried it but just couldn't do it and don't understand how anyone can.

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2013 at 10:37 AM

I would check to see if hey were wet or dirty, anything else wrong, and if not, let them learn to self soothe, it's better for them. I did it with mine, and they were soon sleeping through the night, and I was a s well.

redneckmama4
by on May. 9, 2013 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this
Depends on the age. Smaller baby, no but older children, maybe but depends also on the reason.
MidwestMama55
by on May. 9, 2013 at 11:48 AM

I think it's up to the mother. Different things work for different people. I did not let mine cry it out. I tried it with the first, and she would get so upset she would vomit.  And that's checking every 10 minutes. So I did not. I soothed them and they were happy. Of course, none slept through the night until 2 years old, but I didn't care. They are little for such a short time. My kids are mostly grown and all happy, well adjusted people. My SIL let hers cry it out, and they are also happy, well adjusted people. So I think it's a personal choice, whatever feels right to you.

luzianagurl
by on May. 9, 2013 at 12:48 PM

i wish i had, but now i'm dealing with trying to get my dd3 to sleep in her own bed all night

JTMOM422
by on May. 9, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I kept  my kids in their cribs til they were 1 in my room. After that I kept a monitor on and if they cried for longer than 10 minutes I went to check on them. I would soothe them then lay them back down. They usually fell asleep at that point 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)