Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Is 13 too young to babysit?

Posted by on May. 8, 2013 at 3:35 PM
  • 94 Replies

I have an opportunity to go out for a girls' night with some friends this weekend but I need a sitter for my 18mo. I don't know anyone in the area well enough (recently divorced) and my ex is working so he can't take her. Well, one of my friends said her 13yo could watch her while we go out, but I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with that? How old should a babysitter be? Do you think 13 is too young to babysit?

by on May. 8, 2013 at 3:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Saharra
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd have to know the 13 yr old really well for me to make that decision. I used to babysit at 13, but I think times have changed a lot and there's more scary stuff out there now :) Im leery of adults even watching my kids now :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 8, 2013 at 3:51 PM
Depends on maturity. I hired 12 and 13 year olds all the time. At 12 my oldest became my babysitter.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 9, 2013 at 8:08 AM

I think it depends on the kid. If he/she is mature and responsible, then go for it. But if you don't feel comfy, don't.

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 8:11 AM
It depends on the kid and how mature they are.
mom_of_twingirl
by on May. 9, 2013 at 8:13 AM
i would have to know the person well. but where i live to babysit u have to be 11. i was babysitting at 11, but it was for my family members. and if it was longer then 2hrs, the neighbor checked on us, just to be sure. (but right now i would not anyone watch my girls)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 9, 2013 at 9:54 AM

For my kids, yes. They're 9 and 10 so a 13yo would have ZERO control, lol.

Vamp
by on May. 9, 2013 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I used to baby sit for my nephew all the time when I was 14, I was a very responsible teen though. I would feed him, play with him and change his diapers.

When my DS was born I would never ever leave him alone with my 20 y/o SIL LOL she was so careless and irresponsible..and she clearly said she would never change his diaper..

so yes depends on the person.

notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 10:10 AM

I was babysitting by 13. At 12 I watched an 8 week old, 4 and 6 year olds from about 8 at night to 3 in the morning.

othermom
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 10:15 AM

I think it depends on the 13 year old. When my son is 13 I mightlet him keep an eye on his sisters for a short time. They will be 13, 11 and 7 by then. It would only be for short times though. My older two kids are really good kids, but we will see when the time comes. Most other 13 years old, I am not sure if I would with my youngest, maybe the older two kids for a short time(like running to the store)

acrogodess
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2013 at 10:15 AM
Depends on the maturity of the child. I was babysitting kids for the neighbors by the time I was 11. They loved how responsible I was with my younger brother and loved making money. I was 11 and making $6 per hour at a time when minimum wage was about $3.75 per hour. :-)
More if the family had two or three kids for me to watch at once.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN