Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Is 13 too young to babysit?

I have an opportunity to go out for a girls' night with some friends this weekend but I need a sitter for my 18mo. I don't know anyone in the area well enough (recently divorced) and my ex is working so he can't take her. Well, one of my friends said her 13yo could watch her while we go out, but I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with that? How old should a babysitter be? Do you think 13 is too young to babysit?

by on May. 8, 2013 at 3:35 PM
Replies (91-94):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on May. 18, 2013 at 8:29 PM
My SD is almost 15 and there is now way in hell I would trust her to babysit an 18 month old! She argues so bad with her 5 & 6 yo half siblings, it's ridiculous. She has done so many stupid things with them while just keeping an eye on them while I shower! I just don't think I could trust a child that young.
azeventdiva
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Depends on the 13yo in question. My 14yo took a babysitting course when she was 12, that included CPR & First Aid certification. I did the same when I was 12, and babysat from then on.

supercarp
by on May. 20, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Depends on the kid and the situation. I was 11, but I was mature for my age.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on May. 20, 2013 at 11:55 PM

I babysat twin toddlers at age 12.  I hired a 12 year old to watch my own kids when they were little.  She was great until about 14, and then she was too involved in boys and her phone.  By that time my own kiddo was 11 and babysitting the neighbor's boys while he got paperwork done in his home office.  She did that for three summers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN