Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Please help me not to feel guilty.

Posted by on May. 8, 2013 at 7:22 PM
  • 12 Replies

My bestest boy Pugly got hit by a car yesterday.  He got out of our gate. We have a fully fenced front yard but he somehow got out.  I rushed him to the vet and they gave him a pain med and took X-rays.  It showed he had a broken pelvis and a dislocated hip and some damage nerves in his rectum and his tail.  Pugly was 12 years old had had really bad arthritis. They could have put the hip back in but, it only had a 50% chance of staying.The pelvis would have healed but the nerves had less than a 30% chance of healing.  He would have been in lots of pain and he would have had loss of his bowels.  I decided to put him to sleep.  It was the hardest thing I have ever done.  I love him so much but, I can't help feel guilty of my decision. Is it normal to feel guilty?  When does it stop?   I am just sick.

by on May. 8, 2013 at 7:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momatippie
by on May. 8, 2013 at 7:25 PM

BUMP!

momatippie
by on May. 8, 2013 at 7:31 PM

BUMP!

momatippie
by on May. 8, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Anyone?

momatippie
by on May. 8, 2013 at 8:14 PM

BUMP!

avasmama1375
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 10:52 PM
He was 12 and that is getting only for a dog and he would not have lived a happy life after this it would have been very different. And how much longer do u really think he would have lived in that shape? I'm sure it would have been very expensive also. U made the right desicion I have had to put down an old dog recently also I know it is hard but u will get over it. I would say get a new puppy of the same breed if u like that breed that might help u get over it. What breed was he? A pug I'm guessing?
Connie04
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2013 at 11:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I want to give you a Huge Hug!  That is such a horrible feeling and you need to remind yourself that it was an accident.  You tried your best to keep him in the yard, and, because he was like most dogs, he wanted desperately to get out and explore.  He was an old guy, too, and it really was the best thing for him to put him to sleep.  Any amount of time he had left would not have been good quality due to the various complications from his injuries.  You did the best thing for him because you love him and didn't want him to suffer.  He was a lucky dog to have such a loving companion and he had a really good life.  Please take it easy on yourself, remember the many, many good times you shared and cherish the wonderful memories.  Take care.

NDADanceMom
by on May. 9, 2013 at 12:33 AM
1 mom liked this
Losing a pet is never easy but you did the right thing. Your dogs quality of life would not have been good. He was a good and loyal member of your house and deserves to be in comfort.
I feel like god uses pets to judge our character. They are a measure of how you treat the vulnerable with nothing expected in return. You were more concerned with his comfort than your need to hold on. That is a sign of a good soul.
gammie
by on May. 9, 2013 at 12:41 AM
I had to put down a pet and it broke my heart but is was for the best he was 13 years old ;( things will get better you did what was the best for him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lazyd
by Member on May. 9, 2013 at 1:09 AM

We had to put both of our cats down due to health issues a long time ago.  It was tragic.  The cost of "helping" our cats live longer (and in pain) was just not feasible.  We eventually got new cats (have three now).  We have pictures of our "old" cats up still.  The pain lessens eventually.  

GertieK
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 8:49 AM

I am so sorry.  I had to have one of our shitzus, Abbie,  put down after she was mangled by a coyote.  It absolutely broke my heart.  You do the best you can by them, but they still find ways to rebel!  I just try to remember to crazy wonderful things she did in the 10 years we had her, and love on her daughter and my other ones.  My husband went out and got a whole bunch of coyotes.  We have 3 packs around us that have become a serious nuisance.  He was a broken up as I was.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)