Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you allow your child to play with toy guns?

Posted by on May. 9, 2013 at 9:05 AM
  • 39 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you allow your child to play with toy guns?

Options:

yes

no

Other - please explain.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 52

View Results

I was at Target with my son and he was picking out a toy gun.

Some lady right in the same aisle started saying that kids shouldn't play with toy guns. I think she was talking to the other lady that she was with but she was saying it so I could hear.

I just ignored her and got the gun for my son.

So, I'm wondering if you all let your kids play with toy guns.

by on May. 9, 2013 at 9:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EarlGrayHot
by on May. 9, 2013 at 9:18 AM
2 moms liked this

I did because I found one tossed away.  I played army and cowboys as a child aswell and neither of us has turned out to be a mass murderer.  As long as you explain they are toys and not to aim them at people or animals since that's a bad idea it's up to you.  Many people do feel it's an innappropriate toy though as you just discovered. 

notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Not until this weekend. It's always been my rule not to have toy guns. I don't think they're needed and I don't think young kids understand that guns should not be played with and that they can kill people.

My 6 year old however has been begging for one so after talking with their father we agreed to get the kids water guns. They had so much fun with them and the point is to get each other wet... not to kill each other so I am okay with it as long as they don't shoot in the face or shoot at someone who asks not to be wet.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 9, 2013 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I do and I don't think it's wrong to do so. I've taught them to never aim it at a person, animal, car, window, etc., and taught them gun handling rules like it was a real gun. Maybe they'll be responsible real gun owners someday.

Vamp
by Member on May. 9, 2013 at 10:12 AM

As long as they dont look like ral ones,

they have nerf guns and super soaker ones!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 9, 2013 at 10:14 AM
At one point I didn't allow it. not even movies with violence was allowed in my home. but one of my aunts continuously said there's nothing wrong with it and that they're boys to leave them alone. eventually i gave in because he kept asking.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 9, 2013 at 10:14 AM
At one point I didn't allow it. not even movies with violence was allowed in my home. but one of my aunts continuously said there's nothing wrong with it and that they're boys to leave them alone. eventually i gave in because he kept asking.
othermom
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this

The kids have nef guns and water guns. But they are also allowed to shoot 22's and bb guns with adult supervision.

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2013 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, my boy who are now grown always did. They were first taught gun safety with toy guns.  Dgd, age 13, wasn't interested when she was younger, but then she asked to go to the shooting range with her dad, so he bought her a 22 about a year ago. She has been responsible, and has a keen eye. It's a family activity.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 9, 2013 at 10:48 AM

I never did but I had girls.  Had I had boys, probably not.  I am not a gun person. 

redneckmama4
by Member on May. 9, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Yes.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)