Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Could you forgive your child for committing a heinous crime?

Posted by on May. 10, 2013 at 10:09 AM
  • 19 Replies

Ariel Castro's Mother Begs Forgiveness from 3 Women He's Charged With Kidnapping

by Kiri Blakeley

The mother of Ariel Castro, who is accused of kidnapping three women and holding them hostage in his home for a decade, has spoken out for the first time about the horrific crimes her son has reportedly admitted to committing. Castro allegedly snatched Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight off the streets of his neighborhood and kept them as sex slaves until they were rescued this week. His mom, Lillian Rodriguez, has apologized for his alleged heinous crimes and says, "I am a mother in a lot of pain. I'm sorry for what my son is done." Can you imagine being his mother?!

Lillian is apparently one of the only people who saw Amanda Berry's daughter (most likely fathered by Castro) before her rescue. Castro would reportedly bring 6-year-old Jocelyn on visits to her house on the weekends. There is no evidence that she knew what was happening inside the Cleveland house of horrors.

More of the Castro family has expressed astonishment and horror. His cousin, Maria Castro-Montes, said: "We are horribly sorry for what the three of you went through," and added that Castro does not: "define this family and we hope that people don't judge an entire family on one person's actions."

Castro's daughter, Arlene, who was best friends with one of the victims, Michelle, has also expressed her apologies. "I'm absolutely so, so sorry," she said on Good Morning America.

But it's Castro's mom I truly feel sorry for. Imagine you bring someone like Castro into this world. Imagine that baby you diapered and taught to walk and talk would grow up to become such a monster. Caught by a reporters, Lillian tearfully said in Spanish:

I tell you, I have a sick son who has committed something very grave. I'm suffering very much. I ask forgiveness of those mothers. May those young ladies to forgive me ... I have nothing to do with what my son did.

Lillian isn't denying it happened, isn't saying no one understands, isn't saying he was framed, like the mom of the alleged Boston bombers believes of her sons. Nope, she's saying he did it. That takes bravery.

Did she ignore some things about her son she should have paid more attention to? Like if she thought Jocelyn was Castro's girlfriend's daughter, as has been reported, wouldn't she have asked to meet the girlfriend? Didn't she wonder why her son would never let anyone in his house?

Still, it's a long way from thinking your son is a bit strange to thinking he's got three sex slaves chained in his home. Let's cut her some slack for now. Not too many of us could make that leap of imagination.

Castro reportedly partly blamed his family for his actions in a suicide note written nine years ago. Could his mother have been partially responsible for how he turned out? We don't know how he was raised. But right now, we have to feel for his mother. Until we know more.

Here's her interview.

Do you feel bad for her? Could you forgive your child for committing a crime like this?

by on May. 10, 2013 at 10:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JTMOM422
by on May. 10, 2013 at 10:19 AM
3 moms liked this

Yes I feel bad for her. My mom has always said that her children represented how the parents raised them. I don't really believe that but so many people do. As for forgiving my child yes. I could forgive but never forget. I would always love them but hate whatever they did. I would never abandon them but would never accept them the same way. I think a mother will always love her child. I would make no excuse for them like the marathon bombers mom did that is for sure

nurse1997
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Hi steph yes but you never know until you are put in to that spot- I do know as a mother and the way I am if someone killed one of my children and it was not a accident I would be going to jail because that person would have a bullet in their head with out  thinking twice about it  does that make me a bad person maybe  but oh well  I will have to face god when the time comes ;] !      

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 10, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Still love them, yes. Forgive?? No.
EireLass
by Ruby Member on May. 10, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I feel bad for any parent who has a bizzaro adult child. It is a hard thing for a parent to helplessly watch. And why would the victims families not be forgiving to her...she didn't do anything.

cyrosado
by on May. 10, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Forgive them, of course, because is my son or daughter

However, that will stay in my mind forever, I will never forget

juliemom308
by Member on May. 10, 2013 at 7:25 PM

It must be such a strange feeling being in her position.

whoopsie16
by Member on May. 10, 2013 at 9:55 PM

I could forgive them, but I doubt I would ever want them around. I would make sure the knew I loved them NO MATTER WHAT. And that I would be praying for them, I'd want to write letters/e-mails to them, but other than that? I wouldn't want to see them anymore and if I did, it wouldn't be often..

Angel_Red7
by on May. 10, 2013 at 9:58 PM

I feel bad for her. I would forgive my child. Unconditional love. 

TattooedMomto4
by on May. 11, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Forgive, no. Love them, no. If my adult child did something like this monster did they would be dead to me. I would have no feelings for them. I feel for this mother, I feel for his children and his siblings. They will have to face so much from the community and hopefully time will ease the feelings of those around them. The mother had no reason to disbelieve her son about the little girl and he could have very easily explained the lack of his girlfriend to her working.

Momsalawyer
by New Member on May. 11, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Of course I would forgive my child.  Adults who do such things are not mentally well.  Not an excuse just a fact.  Have always told my children that if they have done something horrible they should come to me first; they have no one else that would do what I would to protect them.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)