Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Used car seats

Posted by on May. 10, 2013 at 1:08 PM
  • 42 Replies
I hear all the time that buying or selling used car seats is illegal but I cannot find any information on that. So is it in fact not illegal and just frowned upon?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 10, 2013 at 1:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 10, 2013 at 1:15 PM
It is not illegal.
KGreen75
by on May. 10, 2013 at 1:16 PM
Just frowned upon
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 10, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Most states are 'proper use' states, which means you have to use the seat as directed by the manufacturer. No manufacturer allows the seat to be used past expiration, so in a 'proper use' state it is, in fact, illegal.

Also, using an expired seat can be EXTREMELY dangerous, why would you take that risk with your child?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 10, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Expired yes, used are not illegal.

Quoting Anonymous:

Most states are 'proper use' states, which means you have to use the seat as directed by the manufacturer. No manufacturer allows the seat to be used past expiration, so in a 'proper use' state it is, in fact, illegal.

Also, using an expired seat can be EXTREMELY dangerous, why would you take that risk with your child?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 10, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I misread it :/

Most used seats I've seen are expired anyway...

As far as used seats... you have NO IDEA if the seat has been in a crash. It could be incredibly unsafe and you wouldn't even know.
(Unless you are getting it from someone you know well and you know the entire history of the seat) 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 10, 2013 at 1:26 PM

In some states, such as California, it is illegal to SELL used seats

notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2013 at 1:27 PM

It's not illegal, it's very, very stupid though.

nurse1997
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2013 at 1:44 PM

You will never be able to buy a used car seat at any store not even a second hand store but illegal not really sure I do know once jc penny said it was illegal ?

storkradio193
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I see used car seats at the relatively nice consignment store here often, so clearly not illegal in WA state.  I imagine the store would not sell expired car seats.  They only instituted expiration dates relatively recently because the manufacturers did not want liability beyond about 6 years.

The problem is that you do not know, unless you know and trust the seller, whether the seat has been in an accident and has lost it's protective ability.

http://www.cafemom.com/home/storkradio193

Allebas
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I live in Washington too!!! We have a consignment shop near where I live, and they have carseats for sale ALL the time!! I've seen ppl buy them too!!!

Quoting storkradio193:

I see used car seats at the relatively nice consignment store here often, so clearly not illegal in WA state.  I imagine the store would not sell expired car seats.  They only instituted expiration dates relatively recently because the manufacturers did not want liability beyond about 6 years.

The problem is that you do not know, unless you know and trust the seller, whether the seat has been in an accident and has lost it's protective ability.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)