Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Would you be mad if you saw a sunbather at your kid's park?

Posted by on May. 14, 2013 at 9:32 AM
  • 29 Replies

Parents Freak Out When Girls in Bikinis Sunbathe Next to Their Kids at Park

by Nicole Fabian-Weber

sunbathing
Not a sunbather at the park.
As parents, we sometimes forget that the world doesn't revolve around us. A dump truck bounds down the street, waking our sleeping baby, and we think: "Seriously?! Who gets trash in the middle of the day?!" Or a motorcycle zooms past us as we walk with our child, scaring the bejeezus out of them and making them cry. "Who could be so mean?!" we mutter. But the fact is, the world doesn't revolve around us. Never did, and never will. 

A group of parents are currently up in arms because young women have decided to enjoy the warm weather at a local playground -- by sunbathing in their bikinis. Yes, there are scantily-clad college-aged girls at a park with kids -- and mamas no like.

Last week, tanners were kicked out of the park in the Stuy Town part of NYC after a soccer league complained; and The Stuyvesant Town Report blog is currently rife with complaints from parents. "This playground should NOT be used for sunbathing," the blog's anonymous author stated. "We’ve heard that complaints were made, and now it’s time for management to ... show some balls." And on the flip side, the bronzed co-eds, naturally, think the outrage is ridiculous. One tanner pointed out: "I pay just as much rent as they do. Just because I don’t have a child doesn’t mean I shouldn’t be able to be here"; while another said: "We pay outrageous money to live here. Let us sunbathe for a few hours."

Fact is, a park is a public place. And let me tell you, when you live in NYC, and it's nice out, you do what you can to be outside. If that means getting some sun at a park kids play at, so be it. It isn't like the girls are sunbathing in the nude. They're in their swimsuits. Would it be a little jarring to see a bikini-clad girl at the park you usually take your kid? I suppose. But causing a stink over it is absolutely ridiculous.

I really hope that the moms who are upset over the sunbathing women aren't the ones who think it's insane for anyone to get pissed that they would breastfeed sans nursing cover in public. Why should they be able to show their breasts, and these women not be able to show (part of) theirs? They're boobs! Everyone needs to get over it! I, personally, think moms should be able to whip out their boobs anywhere they damn please. But I also think girls and guys should be able to wear swimsuits and catch a few rays on a nice day.

Parents, we have to realize that the world doesn't stop and roll out the red carpet for us anywhere we go. Yes, our kids are the most important things in the world to us, and we're more cognizant of other parents, but there are other people on this earth, and sometimes, they just want a little sunshine, too. Deal with it.

Would you be mad if you saw a sunbather at your kid's park?

by on May. 14, 2013 at 9:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stephy_85
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2013 at 9:38 AM
I don't think I would be to upset. We live near Savannah and when the weather is nice there are generally people sunbathing at Forsyth park and other local parks. Now if they were laying in the middle of the playground I might raise my eyebrows and think well that isn't smart, because more than likely they will get ran over or hit with a ball etc. Just because I have kids does not mean I own or have the right to say who can or can not enjoy a public park especially when they at least have some sort of clothing on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 14, 2013 at 10:09 AM
Heavens no. What world do these parents live in that are terrified of bikinis??? I think these type people need to go live on an island together.
littlemoments99
by Member on May. 14, 2013 at 10:45 AM
I wouldn't be mad and if I was uncomfortable for some reason, I would leave. It's a public park to be used by everyone.
LivinDeadGurl
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Nope. As long as they were properly covered (not nude), I'd not have an issue with it.

AliKatAK47
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2013 at 12:11 PM
As long as they aren't in the way then I don't care. I may go join them when I move back to NY.
DanaG70
by Member on May. 14, 2013 at 12:28 PM

There really isn't anything to be mad about, it's a public place, it can be used by the public. The girls aren't nude, the important parts are covered.

I swear parents these days.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 14, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Um, no. That's just ridiculous. Not everyone has their own yard or lives near the beach. Of course, I've always lived fairly close to the beach so seeing people in bathing suits/bikinis are kind of the norm for me. I'm riding along the beach right now...lol.
coreys_mommy
by on May. 14, 2013 at 1:09 PM

as long as she is covered, it's whatever. i'd just tell my kid not to look. it's that simple. i mean, most people take kids to the pool right?? and there's people in bikinis there too. i don't find it right when people try to shove their opinions down someone else's throat.

happinessforyou
by Member on May. 14, 2013 at 1:20 PM

If it is a public, multi-use park they need to share....

AliKatAK47
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2013 at 2:16 PM
I do want to add that in NYC you can't be in a playground with no child so, no, They are not entitled to be there. I don't care about them being there but they shouldn't be twat waffles about it. They shouldn't be there in the 1st place. Central Park or Prospect Park is a better place for that.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)